No idea what to make next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amfukuda

Reaction score
I'm goin to try making a yeast starter and I want to try and lager the beer but I'm not sure what type of beer I want to make. Do you guys have any ideas

oh, so many ideas

what are your favorite commercial beers?
what temps can you ferment at?
all grain, partial, or extract w/steeping grains?

I have built a temp controlled freezer so I can get pretty much any temp

I love anchor steam and a good bock or ipa so I'm all over the place as far as tastes

if you like a lighter beer, try your father's mustache. i have tried this beer with three different yeasts, and White Labs Cry havoc (WLP862) is easily the best.

for something a bit darker and more malty, a Munich Dunkel is a great choice. I don't have a recipe, but basically do 80% basemalt, 15% munich, and 5% specialty with about 3 oz of carafa III for color. german hops

for something different, you could do a Lager IPA (IPL). Basically take your favorite IPA recipe but use a nice lager yeast in place of the ale yeast.

the most important thing with a lager isn't the recipe, it is fermentation control. pitch at minimum a 3L starter, ferment around 49-58 depending on the yeast strain, keep track until you are about 10 points shy of FG, pull out of the freezer for a diacetyl rest for 3 or 4 days at 65 degrees or more, then put it back in close to freezing in temperature. add gelatin if you want to have it ready with only about 2 weeks cold storage or do nothing and it will be ready after 4-5 weeks.

So after the rest put it back in at freezing straight away. Iv read something about stepping it down 2 degrees every twelve hours till you get to freezing. Does it matter or is it just preference

So after the rest put it back in at freezing straight away. Iv read something about stepping it down 2 degrees every twelve hours till you get to freezing. Does it matter or is it just preference
i'm honestly not sure. i have had no issues with cold crashing all the way after the diacetyl rest. i have heard something about this potentially causing yeast cells to explode (?) and cause off-flavors. I'm not sure i'm even describing that right, because i'm not sure.

While the idea of exploding yeast sounds kinda cool ill have to do a little more research

Back