No idea what’s going on?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpinette2

Reaction score
Been brewing for almost a year now. Have made 12 batches. After trying the bottling thing, I upgrading to a refurbished corny keg at the end of august. First few batches went in, and came out fine. Went and bought a new northern brewer keg. First batch, beer went in, forced carved it over a few days and nothing would come out, tried everything in my knowledge(which isn’t much) to fix it, finally had top off so much and it still wasn’t happening i ended up dumping it. This was the beginning of december. The next batch using this new keg, i transferred into keg yesterday morning. I have a carb stone top that i attached. When I went to attach co2 to it, liquid started coming out? No idea why, decided wasn’t going to fool around and just switched the co2 to the normal In post on keg. FYI-bought brand new posts for this, thought maybe that had something to do with it.

Well I just tried to take a sample and see how it was progressing....and nothing, drips of beer through the picnic tap.

Please help! I have no idea what to do...it looks like the beer is struggling to get out, lots of bubbles in line.

Dip tubes on the proper post. The short on on the gas and the long one to the bottom on the liquid port. And you are hooked up on the proper posts?

I’m 99% sure i have the right dip tubes in proper place. The co2 is on the in, and the picnic tap is on the out....seeing there is a 1% chance maybe i did swap tubes....what r options?

Depressurize the keg and remove the gas post. If you find a short dip tube you at least have them right.

But before you do that, grab a towel, make sure the keg is pressurized, hold the towel between the Out post and your face and press down on the Out post poppet with a screwdriver or equivalent. If you don't get a jet of beer either the post or the diptube is plugged - or the end of the Out dip tube is totally slammed against the bottom of the keg...

Cheers!

When I went to attach co2 to it, liquid started coming out?
If the pressure in the keg is higher than the pressure in the CO2 lines, then liquid will come out if you connect gas to the liquid post. This is promising - it shows that the liquid dip tube is on the liquid post, so no need to open the keg (but still check as per day trippr's instructions). What pressure is the keg at when you try to pour beer?

This may sound stupid, but..... is the co2 tank empty, or turned off?

I used to be a lawnmower mechanic and we would get countless mowers in that wouldn't run that were simply out of gas.

Just askin.....

i had it at 20psi, usually do a few days at that, then down to 7-8ish....i was just looking for a sample

I did notice the liquid dip tube is different than my other keg, seems more straight, so i’m wondering if it is flush with the bottom.

Before kegging during sanitation, i forced out the starsan with co2 and that went fine, so that’s why i’m really confused

i had it at 20psi, usually do a few days at that, then down to 7-8ish....i was just looking for a sample

I did notice the liquid dip tube is different than my other keg, seems more straight, so i’m wondering if it is flush with the bottom.

Before kegging during sanitation, i forced out the starsan with co2 and that went fine, so that’s why i’m really confused

7-8psi is quite low - most go with 10-12psi, but it's personal preference.

There are two types of dip tube/kegs - the curved ones that go into the centre of the base of the keg, and straight ones that go into a small valley that runs to the side of the keg - I have some of both and they both work fine.

When you ran the starsan, did you run it through the picnic tap?
I'm thinking either your picnic tap is dodgy, or your liquid tube is a bit blocked. If you know the tap works (from running starsan through it), try connecting your gas to 20psi with the liquid disconnect on, and giving a good blast through the liquid tube. Did you have a lot of trub and/or dry-hop in the keg?

definitely co2 in tank. Using on another keg as i speak with the picnic tap.

Did dry hop, i’ll try blowing out through the out post and clearing it up.

Back