No hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty confused by your subject! No *dry* hopping makes more sense.

It has been done, and there are several approaches. I've had pretty good results from using large quantities of whirlpool hops. It's different, but still very good.

I've been making a version of this for my last several brews. It's hoppy enough for me.

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/punk-ipa-2007-2010
I've tried different variations on the malts... Rahr 2 row with a little carrapils and using Cascade instead of Ahtanum. Also made a somewhat lower ABV version that seems to have come out well by keeping the same IBU/GU ratio. Especially the bottles that were conditioned longer prior to refrigeration.

There are many IPA's that don't need dry hopping.

You can make very hoppy beers with the last addition at whirlpool and no dry hop. That's how I usually make hoppy beers like pale ales and hoppy lagers. You can do the same thing for IPAs but IMO IPAs really need that big fresh aroma and flavor from dry hopping you just don't get out of hot side additions. With NEIPAs I don't think you get close to that same oily hop character without the big cold side additions.

You could take any IPA recipe and move all the cold side additions to a whirlpool addition. If you like it, great, if you find it lacking you can always give in and dry hop it.

What's the desire to avoid dry hopping? Infection risk?

Back when I was going for uber-IBU WCIPAs I did not use any post-boil hops, period.
I did a 60 minute addition for most of the IBUs, then 15 minute and 5 minute additions for "flavor and aroma".

Over the years I added flame-out, whirlpooling, and then dry hopping to my repertoire, but those early years was strictly boil hopping...

Cheers!

Many English IPA's aren't dry-hopped. I've also made many ipa's without dry-hops. I prefer them that way. I'll even take recipes and modify them from dry-hops into flavor and/or aroma hops.

Latest posts

Back