No hop aroma/flavor from Czech Saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pound of Czech Saaz hops from an online vendor. The website said 2011 crop. I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner that I have brewed a few times before. This time I got none of that flowery Saaz aroma/flavor. I just brewed a cream ale using the hops as the aroma addition and samples from the fermenter have zero Saaz aroma.

Are Czech Saaz hops less aromatic that Saaz hops? Would old hops do this? Was it a bad crop?

How much did you use? The Saaz aroma is subtle, IME and easily covered up by yeast profile. I'd think something as delicate as a Pilsner fermented warm would lose a lot.

Dry hop once fermentation is done?

Same recipe that I have used in the past, previously the Saaz aroma/flavor was in abundance.

I guess the next logical question is, how was their aroma before you added them to your boil? If they were duds before boiling, there's not much hope you'd get any aroma in your brew.

Also, what was your hop schedule?

Back