No Hole Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm considering setting up a small full volume BIAB system using a 25litre Stock Pot with recirculation I'm comfortable with BIAB as I had a bigger BIAB some years ago.
I'd really really like to avoid cutting holes in the pot I can do it I have the cutters, but I don't want to, I'll use a hotplate for heating so that's one hope less.

Is there any way of avoiding cutting the pot possibly a self priming pump?

Thanks All. Aamcle

Not really if you wanna recirc.

You could try a FB and sneak some tubing down the side between the kettle wall and bag and under the FB...but you will need to loop the tubing back down the outside to make a "sump" and place your pump there. A quick suck on the return tubing should draw enough water to submerge the impeller so that it can then self prime.

Is there any way of avoiding cutting the pot possibly a self priming pump?

I have been a bit curious about this myself. I probably just need to bite the bullet and drill into my kettle (or just purchase a larger one that fits my needs). I have seen these items: Spincycle Overboard, No-Drill Kettle Whirlpool Return They are reasonably priced compared to adding ball valves/ports. The priming of the pump might be an issue.

Note that in my case, I would want the pump for circulation during a hop steep/whirlpool and during chilling with my immersion chiller and then for transferring the wort out of the kettle. I just wrap my kettle in a sleeping bag or blankets during the mash.

I had thought of putting the pump lower than the pot and giving it a suck to prime, I bought a 100ml syringe for that reason.
My concern Is that the pump might loose prime when pumping boiling wort.

Is this actually something I need to worry about?

Atb. Aamcle

I had thought of putting the pump lower than the pot and giving it a suck to prime, I bought a 100ml syringe for that reason.
My concern Is that the pump might loose prime when pumping boiling wort.

Is this actually something I need to worry about?

Atb. Aamcle

Back