No head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfonce

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing. I've just finished my 3rd batch using kits from Barrons. I've noticed that my beer never seems to have head. Is there a technique or maybe a chemical or something that'll give beer a head? The beer still tastes awesome but its lacking in visual appeal.

Not a big concern but I'd like to improve on it anyway I can.

Couple quick questions. How long do you leave the beer in the fridge before you open it?
And do you wash your beer glasses in a dishwasher?
Ok... three questions... If you wash them in the dishwasher, do you use a drying agent like Jetdry?

Couple quick questions. How long do you leave the beer in the fridge before you open it?
Ok... three questions... If you wash them in the dishwasher, do you use a drying agent like Jetdry?

Usually at least some of the beers will be in the fridge for up to a week and a half before I drink them. I usually put 24 beers in the fridge at a time. Even my unrefrigerated beers dont have a head.

Yes the glasses are washed in a dishwasher and I dont use a drying agent.

Are they carbonated to your liking, but just have no head retention? Also, you aren't doing that silly pour down the side of the glass thing are you?

My guess is that its the extract in your kit. Try switching up brand of extract and see if the problem goes away. I'm not familiar with Barrons. Is it canned? I'm always suspect of the quality of canned extract. Try finding a local homebrew shop that sells extract from big drums, or buy an extract kit from Austin Homebrew. If the problem persists with good, fresh extract, I'd revisit the issue.

Are they carbonated to your liking, but just have no head retention? Also, you aren't doing that silly pour down the side of the glass thing are you?

My guess is that its the extract in your kit. Try switching up brand of extract and see if the problem goes away. I'm not familiar with Barrons. Is it canned? I'm always suspect of the quality of canned extract. Try finding a local homebrew shop that sells extract from big drums, or buy an extract kit from Austin Homebrew. If the problem persists with good, fresh extract, I'd revisit the issue.

They're highly carbonated and no I'm not pouring it down the side of the glass. The barrons extract comes in a big plastic bag.

...that's what she said ZING! anyway i found with many of my extract kits i wasnt getting head due to stale ingredients, it may also help if you start using specialty grains in your brews as well, i'm not 100% sure on the science behind it (i'm sure someone else can fill it in) but from what i understand they help, and as Ed said, proper carbonation and a good long session in the fridge to infuse the CO2 helps but it seems you have this covered.

Ok, Newbie here and I don't want to hijack a thread with my first post... But anyone want to help me out and let me know why these are important? I've only read that you need to have the beer in the fridge around 48 hrs before you drink it. I haven't heard about washing your glasses in a dishwasher and using jet dry yet though.

dishwasher detergent and other additives like Jet Dry will often leave a residue on the glass... that residue hurts head retention.

A lot of people will either use very light detergent or even hand wash a glass once it comes out of the dishwasher if they're going to then use that glass for beer.

WARNING VERY LAYMAN (and mostly half assed interpretation) RESPONSE:

Soap can screw with the head.
If you happen to remember those Dawn commercials about "Dawn takes grease out of your way" where one drop of Dawn would push all the grease to the sides of the bowl they were using...it's like that but for the whole glass.

Have you ever filled a glass with soda and had too much head then stuck your finger in it and saw the head rapidly vanish...its the oils and stuff that do that.

Thanks for the info! I still have a while (bottled last Saturday) before I get to open my first all-grain brew. But of course I want it to look as good as possible when I show it off to everyone ;)

Have you ever filled a glass with soda and had too much head then stuck your finger in it and saw the head rapidly vanish...its the oils and stuff that do that.

Ahh yes, the old "touch your nose and then touch the foam" trick. Just don't do it to someone else's drink. They don't usually appreciate the help...

Back