No Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnadon

Reaction score
Hey all!

Running into a weird situation. I'm currently brewing a Belgian Tripel, from Brewers Best.

Ran into no issues while brewing, cooled wort to 75 degrees and pitched yeast. Currently in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket with an airlock. Waited a week and saw no noticeable fermentation. Checked the batch itself and I see no Krausen or growth on top of it. Figured that was weird but maybe it was a dud batch of yeast. So I got another batch of yeast (B-33 both times). And it has been another week and no signs of fermentation. It seems unlikely that I would get 2 bad things of yeast. Is there something I'm missing perhaps? I know CO2 is not the best sign of fermentation especially with plastic buckets. But I'm out of ideas on how to proceed.

Link below for the recipe, I appreciate any help!

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/assets/1044_belgiantripel_recipe.pdf

Hey all!

Running into a weird situation. I'm currently brewing a Belgian Tripel, from Brewers Best.

Ran into no issues while brewing, cooled wort to 75 degrees and pitched yeast. Currently in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket with an airlock. Waited a week and saw no noticeable fermentation. Checked the batch itself and I see no Krausen or growth on top of it. Figured that was weird but maybe it was a dud batch of yeast. So I got another batch of yeast (B-33 both times). And it has been another week and no signs of fermentation. It seems unlikely that I would get 2 bad things of yeast. Is there something I'm missing perhaps? I know CO2 is not the best sign of fermentation especially with plastic buckets. But I'm out of ideas on how to proceed.

Link below for the recipe, I appreciate any help!

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/assets/1044_belgiantripel_recipe.pdf
That is strange. Did you rehydrate theyeast both times? Did you happen to make a starter? Did you use tap water from your town/city water? If so did you dechlorinate it?

Have you taken a hydrometer reading? If no, start there. Buckets are notorious for leaking = no airlock bubbles.

Any scum ring around the side of the bucket? If yes, it is probably past high krausen and it has dropped.

That is strange. Did you rehydrate theyeast both times? Did you happen to make a starter? Did you use tap water from your town/city water? If so did you dechlorinate it?

None of those things would have stopped fermentation. With dry yeast it is better to NOT make a starter.

None of those things would have stopped fermentation. With dry yeast it is better to NOT make a starter.
It absolutely would be true with dry yeast from brewer best kits. They sit in warehouse in temps of over 90 for who ever knows how long. Dryyeast certainly has good shelf life and longevity but not in extreme conditions. When I was doing extracts brews a few years ago when I just started, I had it happen to me twice with those kits. Lhbs told me what I am regurgitating here and gave me a new fresh pack of dry yeast and it took off the next day.

*edit* wasn’t expecting the simple answer that the fermentation was missed lol

Last edited:
Have you taken a hydrometer reading? If no, start there. Buckets are notorious for leaking = no airlock bubbles.

Any scum ring around the side of the bucket? If yes, it is probably past high krausen and it has dropped.

Hello ! Thank you for your answer.

There is about an inch of scum on the side of the bucket, so maybe i just missed all of the fermentation. I left it alone as best I could.

I will take a hydrometer reading in an hour and report back! Thank you!

And also, I did not rehydrate the yeast, pitched straight in per the recipe.

Took a hydrometer reading and it is currently sitting at 1.020. Right in line with the specified FG on the recipe. My initial reading I had written down as 1.08. I was drinking during the brew, but I'm pretty sure I was correct in my measurement.

So I guess this is just me overthinking it, I'll let it sit for another week before bottling, unless you all think any differently! Tasted it and it seems on point so far.

It absolutely would be true with dry yeast from brewer best kits. They sit in warehouse in temps of over 90 for who ever knows how long. Dryyeast certainly has good shelf life and longevity but not in extreme conditions. When I was doing extracts brews a few years ago when I just started, I had it happen to me twice with those kits. Lhbs told me what I am regurgitating here and gave me a new fresh pack of dry yeast and it took off the next day.
C
*edit* wasn’t expecting the simple answer that the fermentation was missed lol

It is possible to have bad dry yeast, but it would take a lot more than over 90 degrees to kill the yeast. More like 180 +.

Rehydrating is now discouraged by Fermentis for at least their yeasts. Dry yeasts are engineered so that you don't need to make a starter, in fact a starter will strip the nutrients etc that coat the yeast possibly making them less healthy than without one. Chlorine might cause off flavors but will not stop fermentation.

LHBS advise needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Many are employees that have limited knowledge. I have heard tales of LHBS owners who knew and regurgitated information that they knew before opening. Much of what was gospel in the early days has been proven wrong or is no longer applicable in today's world.

... Tasted it and it seems on point so far.

Three cheers to you for tasting it before going farther!

LHBS advise needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Many are employees that have limited knowledge. I have heard tales of LHBS owners who knew and regurgitated information that they knew before opening. Much of what was gospel in the early days has been proven wrong or is no longer applicable in today's world.

:bravo: We have no employees so any bad information we give is our fault alone. But breaking paradigms is the most difficult thing to do in selling to today's homebrewer that comes in quoting the original Joy.

And there was no best buy or expiration date on dry yeast for years and years and years.....suddenly it has dates. I hate them. They are bogus....I've had many customers use years old dry yeast that was just sitting around and experienced no problem. And Brewers Best kits do not sit in the warehouse for ages.....they run a replenishment system to turn inventory. Whatever LHBS person told you they sit around didn't know squat about inventory management and the impact on profitability.

Back