No fermentation - cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - me again. I was wondering what I need to do. I put the yeast into my cider yesterday - 23 hours ago now, but nothing is happening. The books seem to suggest you usually see dramatic results at first, so I was wondering if this is normal. (I used Lalvin wine yeast EC-118) .... I am wondering if the water I dissolved it in wasn’t warm enough.... but not sure if that would make a difference? Of whether I just need to wait a bit longer. One of the books suggested decanting a glass and using a bit of yeast in that - getting that going then adding to the barrel..... has anyone tried that before? Any advice gratefully received - thank you

Did you use apple juice that contained preservative? the juice should have nothing added except for ascorbic acid. ( vitamin C) the chemicals used to preserve fruit juice act by inhibiting the division of cells, like bacteria... and yeast :)

Hi, thanks for the reply, no. I pressed the apples myself. I used Campden tablets after pressing, but left 32 hours before adding the yeast as suggested (book said wait between 24 and 36 hours)

I am wondering if the water I dissolved it in wasn’t warm enough.... but not sure if that would make a difference?

A brewing thermometer is about $10 and a good investment.
If your re-hydrating water was too hot, you might have killed off the yeast.

https://www.labdepotinc.com/p-60154...MIi6fm1e3q6wIViYnICh3X-gM1EAQYASABEgKCofD_BwE
I've been using Go-Ferm Protect when rehydrating yeast and have had good results. Give the carboy a swirl a couple times a day to rouse up the yeast, you can do this once it gets going to release the dissolved Co2, (Don't shake it).

Back