No feremntation after 14 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melikidabeer

Reaction score
I just brewed up an Ipa last night and rehydratede my us05 yeast. I waited till temps were at 20 and pitched the yeast which was alive and kicking. Still not seeing any signs of fermentation. What should I do?

melikidabeer said:
I just brewed up an Ipa last night and rehydratede my us05 yeast. I waited till temps were at 20 and pitched the yeast which was alive and kicking. Still not seeing any signs of fermentation. What should I do?

Wait

So don't pitch more yeast? I thought that saffale 05 was meant to be pretty quick? I will defer to more experienced folk than my self.

Last time I used properly rehydrated 05, it took 3 days to start.

I was happy it was alive and well when I pitched it, and the temp difference between the yeast and wort was a couple of degrees, so I'll just wait then. I'll send the wife to the shop tomo to get some more just in case, but you put my mind at ease for now. Many thanks.

One last thing, the wort will be alright then whilst I wait? It won't suffer in anyway?

melikidabeer said:
One last thing, the wort will be alright then whilst I wait? It won't suffer in anyway?
Should be good as long as you have an airlock on it.

I'd probably start worrying at 24 hours, but even then, it may just be a slow start for the yeast.

Is the lid properly sealed? If you are going by airlock activity, you may not see it if the lid has a leak.

Dude, it'll be fine. Just let it ride. Sometimes it just takes a little while.

Agreed. Since your rehydrate temp & current wort temp only differred by a couple degrees,it'll be fine. Sometimes even US-05 can take a day or two to finish the reproductive or lag phase before visible fermentation begins. Just leave it sealed up & don't mess with it. I even had WL029 do that to me once.
Another time,US-05 rehydrated settle to the bottom,then I saw yeast rafts. i swirled it up & let it go. Dangdest thing...the rafts settle back down & it started fermenting after about 2 days. Only happened that once...rather strange behavior.

I brewed a Wit last Sunday and used WL001, it took almost 56 hours to finally see bubbling in my airlock. I put it in my basement which is usually around 68 to 70 degrees, but since it has started getting cooler outside it was around 60 degrees down there. So, I put a small space heater near the primary bucket. I can control the heater to maintain a constant 70 degrees. The batch literally started bubbling within 2 hours. Not sure if it was due to the temp or if it just finally took off. Maybe a bit of both. Anyways, it is now Sunday (5 days later) and it is still actually bubbling, albeit very slowly. So, I guess just remain patient, I will always give it at least 72 hours and try to keep it at the optimal temperature for whatever style yeast you are using, if at all possible. I have read that dry yeast when pitched on top of the wort will show signs much faster than liquid yeast which will usually settles to the bottom and has to work its way up, even when stirred.

My last two batches were fermented with US-05, it took about 24 hours for bubbling to start even then it was slow. After 48 hours I had a good krausen and active fermentation.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to wait three days to see why happens. I'll let you know.

Similar issue here for me. It's been 13 hours since pitching yeast. But, a couple things that make me wonder what's taking so long...

1. We used a 1400ml yeast starter.
2. We brewed a Northern Brewer Imperial Stout extract with an OG of 1.090.

The basement is 65 F, and we're using a blow off tube and a bucket for primary. After reading reviews about this brew's fermentation, I was half expecting to wake up this morning and be able to strap the primary onto my back, point the blow off tube downward, and use it as a jet pack to fly around the neighborhood, but no sign of anything yet. Strange?

Every brew being different,it just goes that way sometimes. My stout fermented a bit differently then my other ales. Slow repeating burps like a machine pistol. I swear,I do think if I'd have followed the lil voice in my head to check it at 1 week,it would've been virtually done. Kinda weird,seein as how it wasn't a very vigorous ferment.

So I came home from work today (44 hrs in) and there's a very healthy looking krausen in my fv, but no bubbles in the airlock. I take it this means my seal isn't very good. Should I tamper with it or just leave it and trust the co2 will keep the baddies out? And my wife is well pissed cus I sent her out to get more yeast, but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

So I came home from work today (44 hrs in) and there's a very healthy looking krausen in my fv, but no bubbles in the airlock. I take it this means my seal isn't very good. Should I tamper with it or just leave it and trust the co2 will keep the baddies out? And my wife is well pissed cus I sent her out to get more yeast, but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

If there's krausen, you're fine. One of my fermenters has never shown airlock activity due to a bad seal, and none of my beer has ever been infected. The positive pressure from fermentation should keep anything out.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to wait three days to see why happens. I'll let you know.

And then after that, keep waiting. There is no reason to pitch a bunch of yeast and then pitch again. Also, I'm sure you've been told but hydrometer readings > airlock activity.

Also, in my short time here I have learned that if someone responds then they are indeed being "serious". :D

Okay then, I will continue to wait and watch. When should I take a hydrometer reading? How soon is too soon? I'm eager to see how it's doing.
Also, does that look like a healthy krausen to anybody? It resembles the last few brews I've done and they've been great.

image-2318440364.jpg

Let it ride. Now that it's fermenting, you have nothing to worry about. No bubbles? We don't need no stinking bubbles! The CO2 is heavier than air, so it will make a blanket over your beer to protect it.

Walk away, my friend. Do you have another fermentor? If so, make another batch to take your mind off this one. Give it 10-14 days before you take a reading. No peeking!

Similar issue here for me. It's been 13 hours since pitching yeast. But, a couple things that make me wonder what's taking so long...

1. We used a 1400ml yeast starter.
2. We brewed a Northern Brewer Imperial Stout extract with an OG of 1.090.

The basement is 65 F, and we're using a blow off tube and a bucket for primary. After reading reviews about this brew's fermentation, I was half expecting to wake up this morning and be able to strap the primary onto my back, point the blow off tube downward, and use it as a jet pack to fly around the neighborhood, but no sign of anything yet. Strange?

13 and 14 hours is not a long lag time. Every fermentation is different, but I would say that is fairly normal.

What about a hydrometer reading? Is it too early at 48hrs?

You can take a hydrometer reading whenever you want, but in my opinion taking one at 48 hours is pointless. You don't really want to take hydrometer readings until you think the beer is completely done fermenting and you're ready to package it. To me, taking one at 48 hours is just a waste of beer.

Don't open it for a good week +. In fact, I wouldn't ever take a reading for the first 10 days. I've only done it once and that is because I was told to rack to secondary at day 7. I wish now that I had just waited 2 weeks until I checked for various reasons.

Open your FV every hour if you wish or wait and actually have a good beer to be proud about. :)

Couldn't resist checking the o ring and wouldn't your know it, the damn thing was off kilter. Readjusted and now it's bubbling away happily. Lesson learnt- don't rely on bubbles for signs of fermentation and ultimately RDWHAHB. Thanks for everyone's help, I owe you all a pint of Amarillo IPA.

Back