No Corn in my Cream Ale? And a couple other ??s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Had a good recipe going for my Roasted Jalapeno Cream Ale but my Lhbs forgot to combine my flaked maize with the other ingredients. So, my cream beer has no corn in it. I wonder if there's anything I should do with it to help with the creamy mouthfeel that I wanted from the corn.

Is there anything else I can add now that beer is done fermenting and waiting in primary for bottling day?

Wow, never heard of KreamyX. Sounds like crazy stuff. Can anyone vouch for it's awesomeness? Or would malto be just as good.

I'd prefer the malto because I already have some, and could use it today or tomorrow without waiting for the Muntons.

And my other question was concerning adding gelatin to it. I know its off topic, but it is the same beer and I couldn't get an answer in the gelatin thread.

The cream beer is still in the primary from 1-26 and has finished fermenting down to 1.012. I have jalapenos that I roasted and threw in on 2-8. Can I crash it in freezer and add gelatin without racking or is this a bad idea. I'm being somewhat lazy and also trying to juggle my carboys efficiently with my brewing schedule.

Had a good recipe going for my Roasted Jalapeno Cream Ale but my Lhbs forgot to combine my flaked maize with the other ingredients. So, my cream beer has no corn in it. I wonder if there's anything I should do with it to help with the creamy mouthfeel that I wanted from the corn.

Is there anything else I can add now that beer is done fermenting and waiting in primary for bottling day?

The maize is there to thin the flavor & body, it doesn't really contribute any creamy mouthfeel characteristics. High protein flaked grains like wheat, barley or oats are more for that purpose. Malto-dextrin is the main ingredient in Kreamy-X and is probably easier to find. You could boil some up with a little water and add it to your priming sugar mix at bottling time.

The maize is there to thin the flavor & body, it doesn't really contribute any creamy mouthfeel characteristics. High protein flaked grains like wheat, barley or oats are more for that purpose. Malto-dextrin is the main ingredient in Kreamy-X and is probably easier to find. You could boil some up with a little water and add it to your priming sugar mix at bottling time.

I don't agree, one bit, my experience has been that corn does indeed contribute a level of creamyness to cream ales, and even commercial macro lagers that is different from rice adjuncted beer. To me there's a big difference for example in corn adjunct lagers and rice adjunct lagers...I think rice lagers think bud are much dryer than let's say Llabats, which has more corn in it, and seems "smoother" i.e creamy...

If you've ever shucked or cooked with corn, the starch liquid that come off it when you are shucking or even just mashing corn kernels is very white and milk like....

very creamy...

Don't forget how thick and creamy corn syrup is..

To me cream ales are really smooth, yet still crisp an clean. But definitely creamy to me....

Yeah, I'm not happy that they forgot my corn. I was really looking forward to that "creamy" feel with this beer like you're talking about Revvy.

Oh well, maybe malto will suffice

Back