No cone production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusfunk087

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first year growing hops and I have a problem. I am growing Columbus and glacier hops in large containers. The glacier hops have grown about 14ft and have quite a bit of cones forming. The Columbus grew about 10ft and stopped. It has tons of side arms and no cones or burrs. Is there anything I can do to try and get it to produce or is it too late this year? Ill attach a picture.

ForumRunner_20130811_105539.jpg

ForumRunner_20130811_105605.jpg

ForumRunner_20130811_105622.png

glacier looks good!

<- same boat.
first year grower.
i have a Mt. Hood plant that finally reached the top of the trellis (20-25ft), but has yet to produce any burrs as far as i know.
tons of super long side arms.
every time i see what i think is a burr, it ends up growing an arm.
maybe in september sometime?
i guess ill see...

20130811_131105.jpg

20130811_130844.jpg

When did you plant? Did you plant rhizomes or crowns? Where do you live?

I planted my crowns in the first week of May and had plenty of sidearm growth through July, but didn't see any burrs at all until 8/1. Now, there are burrs everywhere.

if it's a first year plant then I wouldn't even expect to get cones. the first 1 to 3 years the plant is really just establishing.

i planted rhizomes early may.
i planted not expecting a harvest but hoping for at least a small one.
is the reason really that the plant is establishing its root system and that's all?
im really just trying to understand it.
friends in the same area are harvesting their first year plants.

i planted rhizomes early may.
i planted not expecting a harvest but hoping for at least a small one.
is the reason really that the plant is establishing its root system and that's all?
im really just trying to understand it.
friends in the same area are harvesting their first year plants.

I have multiple rhizomes of the same type and know generally what size they were when planted. The larger rhizomes are gang busters on cone production, and the smaller have none. It supports the claim that the plant is likely producing more root mass to provide for its future. If you are feeding it regularly with a balanced fertilizer- I would not worry about much else. Next year will be very productive for you.

I have crowns from great lakes hops. I planted 3 crowns in the ground at my parents all are loaded with cones aswell. This is the only variety that doesn't have any burs or cones. Iam in upstate NY I planted in may. I was thinking maybe I let to many bines grow (5) so I cut back to 3 maybe it will still produce

Different hop strains have different ripening times, just like tomatoes or any other crop, some are early season, some are late season. My Cascade plants have fully formed cones right now, but my Glacier's cones are just now starting to form. Your particular growing location will also have an effect. I say just wait and see what happens, they will most likely form cones sooner or later.

Still no cones or burrs starting to think it won't happen. Anyone know of a way to jump start a plant? I already fertilize regularly. Thanks

Back