No chocolate taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8dannyB2

Reaction score
Attempting to brew a chocolate stout with coffee and vanilla. I brewed about a week and a half ago, and put 8oz of cocoa powder at flameout. Just racked to secondary and had a little taste, but I got zero chocolate taste. The hops seemed to dominate. I plan to let this brew age for a few months and plan to add nibs in a week or two. I know the hops will fade, but will the cocoa become more present in time or did I just miss on the chocolate all together so far?

I have brewed two beers so far that I have used cocoa powder; however, I have only drank one of them so far. The one that I tried was my Strawberry and Chocolate Wheat. I did a split batch, and did compared the Strawberry Wheat to it just to see how it turned out. I honestly did not get my anticipated chocolate flavor either from the 100% Unsweetened Cocoa Powder even though I added it into the secondary along with the strawberries. I only got a tint of brown in color, and a hint of low residual sweetness from the Chocolate. Although I have never tried your method of adding chocolate to a stout, I would think that you probably pulled the same thing out of yours too. Next time I suggest just adding chocolate malt to the grain bill, and adding the cocoa nibs if you would like.

What were your flavors that you got from the beer, and also what were the hops that you used? Did the hop flavors come across like you were wanting?

I would suggest chocolate malt also.
Can you use pure cocoa ? Or perhaps 80 % cocoa ? I know I like to eat the stuff

I have used the powder and cocoa nibs. The powder I did as you. I did not care for the results. I have used cocoa nibs ever since, in secondary, with great results: flavor and aroma are great. Always in a chocolate milk stout as point of reference.

JLP said:
What were your flavors that you got from the beer, and also what were the hops that you used? Did the hop flavors come across like you were wanting?

I found a Founders Breakfast Stout clone and sort of adapted that recipe and tweaked it a bit. I wanted it to become more of a chocolate stout with hints of coffee, vanilla and oak. It called for 1.5 oz nugget @60 min, 1oz willamette @20min and 1oz willamette @10 min. Estimated 66 IBUs. It seemed a bit high to me but I figured it was needed to balance out the maltiness. I did use .75lbs of chocolate malt in the grain bill. All I really could taste was the hops though. It was hard to distinguish any other flavors. Again I plan on aging this brew for a few months so I'm hoping the hops will fade and the other characteristics will become more prominent. I originally was going to add 4oz of cocoa nibs in secondary, but I'm thinking I may go with 8.

There could be several possibilities as far as I can see, the biggest being that the beer is incredibly young for a stout (or for any beer if it isn't carbed yet). There will be major changes once it's carbed up, and after a month or two in bottles I'd bet all of the flavors will start coming together. I don't think you could go wrong in adding nibs, though, assuming you don't overdo it.

The other thing I'd consider is to avoid so many late hops in any beer that I'd be adding chocolate to. I have no idea how accurate the clone recipe is, and I can't sit here and knock founders breakfast stout, but that's just my initial gut reaction to seeing that hop schedule.

I'll bet your beer comes out fine though.

If I get where you are trying go to with the beer, your wanting to showcase the malt in the beer only. Just like Grantman1 said your hop schedule is a bit strong to do that. That's the same schedule and quantity as most IPAs. Next time think of a single hop addition like Magnum at 90 minutes for a clean bittering with no flavor.

I would compare the nib addition to other beer recipes that are of the same ABV to see how much chocolate flavor they pull compared to the amount added. Even if the beer doesn't meet your initial intent it will taste like a great stout so just wait with anticipation to see how it goes over the aging period.

Grant, I thought the same thing about both of your points. I do realize that the brew is incredibly young right now and that it will certainly change in time. I just really thought with 8oz of cocoa powder, that some of it would be apparent. I too thought that the hop additions seemed to be a bit much but this was my first attempt at the style, so just kinda went along with the recipe. I know that the breakfast stout has something like 65 IBUs so I just kinda went with it.

JLP said:
Next time think of a single hop addition like Magnum at 90 minutes for a clean bittering with no flavor.

I'll definitely give this a shot. Thanks

And I thought that the hop additions were a bit much, but looking at the IBUs in BS and KBS I looked like it was right on par.

I have used the powder and cocoa nibs. The powder I did as you. I did not care for the results. I have used cocoa nibs ever since, in secondary, with great results: flavor and aroma are great. Always in a chocolate milk stout as point of reference.

:off:
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your cocoa nibs? I've looked around in grocery stores with no luck, it seems to be a specialty item.

I purchased mine at whole foods. If one isn't near you, look to the web :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELL9GI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I know from different readings I have done on the forums that there is a difference in quality of the product (the one I listed is only the first I found). Do some digging on the forums to find information on the nibs themselves. You can always try one, if you don't like, try another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made a founders breakfast stout clone and used 8oz of Hershey's powder. The powder was added to the mash and boy does it taste chocolatey. I was gonna add nibs to secondary but I don't think it needs it. So if you try this again try it in the mash.

I just made a founders breakfast stout clone and used 8oz of Hershey's powder. The powder was added to the mash and boy does it taste chocolatey. I was gonna add nibs to secondary but I don't think it needs it. So if you try this again try it in the mash.

What was the amount of chocolate malt and what type?

There was 1lb chocolate malt in the mash per the recipe. My other post was directed at the cocoa powder. I put 8oz cocoa powder in the mash with all my grains.

Ryfi said:

Ryfi just out of curiosity, what was your hop additions? The BS recipe I found called for 2oz nugget @60 min, 1oz willamette @20 min and 1oz willamette @ 10 min. Just curious how yours matches up. And I'll definitely have to try the cocoa in my mash next time.

Latest posts

Back