No chill hop utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
I know theres a couple No-chillers out there. My question is, has anybody done their no chill beer without adjusting the hop schedule? Kinda curious about doing it because I have already brewed as if I was going to chill, and now I really don't want to. I know the beer will have longer boiling exposure to the hop oils and the IBU's will be affected.

My hop schedule was Cascades at 60,30,15,5

So much easier to just relax, and let it chill on its own :p

I have no-chilled and not adjusted my hop schedule. I've brewed a couple of brown ales and a couple of Porters and haven't really noticed a difference. I do tend to "Hop It UP" though. Luck - Dwain

A. Isomerization needs boiling, so once you shut the heat off, the beer won't get any more bitter.

B. The longer it takes to cool, the less hop flavor and aroma you'll have. This is fine for 95% of beer styles, bad news for IPAs.

You'll still get some bittering contribution from the hot steep. Plenty of craft brewers throw in 'whirlpool' additions who's main purpose is flavor / aroma. While this is the main purpose, there is a certain amount of bitterness contributed which shouldn't be ignored.

I'd be most concerned about volatilizing the delicate hop aromas and flavors as well as producing a lot of DMS precursors from the slow chill.

A. Isomerization needs boiling, so once you shut the heat off, the beer won't get any more bitter.

B. The longer it takes to cool, the less hop flavor and aroma you'll have. This is fine for 95% of beer styles, bad news for IPAs.

Isomerization of alpha acids does not necessarily need boiling, it just needs heat. I read yesterday that if you leave hops for 2 weeks at temperatures above 50C then it will extract a reasonable amount of bitterness from them (I don't have the source, and they didn't have a source either). I also read that at 70C, after 90 minutes you can get 10% utilization out of hops.

I don't do no chill, so I don't know how long this stuff says above that temperature.

I've made the same exact two recipes with the same hop schedules, only I chilled one quickly and let the other chill over night.

There was a barely noticeable increased bitterness to the no chill beer, but certainly nothing over the top. I'd say it's no big deal if you didn't/don't adjust.

Some say that aroma and flavor can benefit by waiting until the wort has chilled below 160-170 and adding hops then when doing a no chill, rather than adding at flameout. The lower tmperature helps retain the volitoile hop oils I believe.

Back