No Carboys to Rack To =/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
I've had a homemade wine fermenting in a plastic bucket since mid February. It has finally cleared entirely and I'd like to move on. It was a 4 1/4 gallon bucket and I made about 3 gallons of the wine. I do not have a carboy to rack to, so I'm wondering if it would be OK to just rack to another clean plastic bucket for more "aging" and clearing or will I have to rack it into three 1-gallon glass carboys filled to the top and bunged with airlocks? If that's the case, should I rack the wine to a clean bucket first and get a homogeneous mix before separating it out to 3 different small carboys? Thanks!

Or just rack to three 1 gallon jugs like you said, then before bottling, rack those three again into one container and bottle from there. I would avoid letting it hang out in a bucket for more time though.

It was in the primary for way too long. One or two weeks is all that is needed. Should be under airlock and no headspace after that.

Gallon jugs are fine, but I bet you have very oxidized wine already.

Well now I know. lol. I just told my girlfriend we need to get 3 jugs of Carlo Rossi or Livingston and she looked at me like I'm crazy! Will a #6 stopper fit a Livingston jug? Man, I just don't drink this much wine!!! haha

Well now I know. lol. I just told my girlfriend we need to get 3 jugs of Carlo Rossi or Livingston and she looked at me like I'm crazy! Will a #6 stopper fit a Livingston jug? Man, I just don't drink this much wine!!! haha

I think they have the same size top. You can fill 750ml bottles with the cheap wine. This way you don't have to drink it fast, and it makes you look less like a hobo. Though with a Carlo jug, if you put your pinky though the handle, and rest the jug on the top of your forearm, it's surprisingly easy to drink wile laying down. I'd recommend Carlo's Chablis (pronounce it phonetically, this is bum wine).

You can also get 1G glass jugs of apple juice at most grocery stores or Whole Foods/organic'y grocery store of your choice.

nebben said:
You can also get 1G glass jugs of apple juice at most grocery stores or Whole Foods/organic'y grocery store of your choice.

But then you'll have to figure out where to put the three gallons of cider you just made with the juice you bought! :)

Exactly. If I can find apple juice or cider in these glass jugs here in Phoenix somewhere, I'll just drink the juice or put it in plastic jugs and drink it. I have plenty of wine on the way when I get this batch racked over. Anyone know of a store in Phoenix that carries one gallon glass jugs of cider/juice?

Exactly. If I can find apple juice or cider in these glass jugs here in Phoenix somewhere, I'll just drink the juice or put it in plastic jugs and drink it. I have plenty of wine on the way when I get this batch racked over. Anyone know of a store in Phoenix that carries one gallon glass jugs of cider/juice?

Just become a wino. I'm drinking Carlo Merlot and ginger ale right now (It's my weekend).

Ill have to check into it. I was calling around to Sprouts the other day asking them "do you carry a brand of apple juice in gallon glass jugs" and they were oblivious.. lol

Alrighty. Had a get together tonight and emptied a 3L jug of Livingston and a 4L jug of Carlo Rossi.. Probably just one more jug and some #6 stoppers and I'll be good to go!! After I rack, will I have airlock activity again even though the sugars are probably all consumed by now?

All of my 1g carboys came from Sprout's. Apfelwein was the result of that, because I couldn't drink 5 gallons of apple juice. So yes, even if they are oblivious to stocking it, you will find it in the store.

It goes on and off sale like pretty much everything at Sprouts ... but I think it was right around $6 per gallon of apple juice. It's not in the weekly advertisements right now, so it might be $7 for it. It is the house brand, to boot, so they might not even advertise a "sale" ... but always have it on sale. I'm not really sure. If I am driving by Sprouts, I might stop in and take a look on your behalf. Regardless, it's better than paying 5 or 6$ for a carboy - at least you get *something* out of it. It was pretty tasty juice ... the half a glass I had after testing the gravity of it.

Yep picked it up tonight. Tasty stuff. Paid close to $8 after tax. Transferred the juice to a clean water jug cleaned this and two other glass jugs with my bottle brush. Had some friends drink up a bunch of Carlo Rossi Sangria last week so I could have those bottles as well. Now I just need stoppers and I can finally rack this wine!!! Been in primary FAR TOO LONG.

Latest posts

Back