no carbonation...how about this idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
i brewed a dubbel with WLP 530
SG 1.080
FG 1.014
8.6%

its been bottled for 11 weeks now and still no carbonation.
My thoughts are gently pour them back into a primary, add some champagne yeast, let sit for a day or 2 to let it eat any sugars the 530 maybe have not. then bottle with normal priming sugar amount.

ive had big beers take up to 12 weeks weeks to carb but there would be some fizz. this has nothing at all.

Is the area you bottle condition in over 70°F?
Pouring back into the fermentor would have a huge risk of oxidizing the beer.

I would try shaking the bottles vigorously everyday for a week and then check for carbonation. I recently discovered this method and worked like a charm. Now this is assuming you used the correct amount of priming solution and the yeast are still alive.

if you used the correct amount of priming sugar and it was mixed throughout the batch then you should have carbonation unless the bottles are being kept below 70 degrees. don't pour them out, don't shake them, warm them up.

my house temp is around 75-80 degrees, so i dont believe its a temp issue.
throughout the 11 weeks, ive turned the bottles upside down to swirl the yeast back into suspension

I also turned the bottles upside down and swirled them, no carbonation. I called the company that I received the kit from and was instructed to shake them everyday for a week, and viola my bottles carbed.

Give it a try on a few bottles, I could tell after the first 3 days that they were already starting to carb up.

No pfffft at all when you crack one? If you have a little then I would say the yeast will eventually get the job done. If you have none, I think your yeast in the bottle has expired.

I would get a packet of fresh dry yeast. Cut just a tiny triangle off of the yeast packet corner so you can control how much yeast comes out of the packet. Open each bottle, sprinkle in a little yeast, and recap. Should carb up in a month after recapping. Cheers!

so i poured it back into a fermenter(gently) added some champagne yeast and more sugar...a combo of LME and table sugar. the gravity went up 6 points from 1.014 to 1.020. i left it for 12 days and bottled it today. new FG is 1.012.

questions - in order to calculate the ABV, would i add 6 points to the original SG(1.080 to 1.086) and use the new FG(1.012)? the ABV calculator says 9.7%. thats more quad/strong ale territory right?

i had a similar problem with an apple Champagne i made about a year ago that ame in at about 12.5%.
let it age at about 20 degrees C for about 6 months with no carbonation. i repitched a couple of grains of fresh champ yeast into each bottle and gave it another month, shaking twice a week, still no carb.
basically i came to the conclusion that yeast fresh out the packet is not alc tolerant so dropping it into a 12% solution with only priming sugar was a pretty mean feat for my little yeasties.

what i ended up doing was making a starter with fresh apple juice and champ yeast on my stir plate. once i had vigorous fermentation, every day i would add half a tsp of sugar and one teaspoon of vodka to the stater. once my abv was around 12% i then let it settle, poured of the excess apple juice and dropped a few drops of this alc tolerant champ yeast into each bottle. one month later it was fully carbed. hope this helps.
Olive.

Latest posts

Back