No caffeine free Mountain Dew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a caffeine sensitivity, so I prefer not to drink too much of it. I've been looking for caffeine free Mountain Dew for a while now and can't find it. Looks like they don't even make it anymore! WTH?

Used to be you could find it in 2 liters at least.

And no, I don't want a diet soda. I tried doing that stuff for a while, but I don't like it. I'd rather have real sugar once in a while. Even drinking regular Dew with real sugar brings back memories of when I was a kid.

Haven't looked for any alternative brands. I'm kind of stuck on the real thing. Although I did find a Hard "Mountain Dew" at the store this week. Same company that brought you Not Your Father's Root Beer. It's actually not bad. Less sweet, with more pineapple flavor IMO, but not bad. I just can't get away with drinking that at work...

I did find a Hard "Mountain Dew" at the store this week. Same company that brought you Not Your Father's Root Beer. It's actually not bad. Less sweet, with more pineapple flavor IMO, but not bad. I just can't get away with drinking that at work...

You obviously need to look for a better place to work....

;)

I've tried it - it's pretty darn good. Close to being overly sweet...but, hey - it's from Mountain Dew, so to be expected. I like the Citrusy, Pineapple-y aspect, too.

Looks like it's 60% less caffeine (19.7mg vs 54mg) if you went Moon Mist. I know they aren't the same, but it was the first thing I thought of as an alternative if they don't make caffeine free Mt. Dew.

Looks like it's 60% less caffeine (19.7mg vs 54mg) if you went Moon Mist. I know they aren't the same, but it was the first thing I thought of as an alternative if they don't make caffeine free Mt. Dew.

Interesting. I think that's low enough for me. I'm not looking to drink it all the time, but sometimes I'd like some Mt. Dew and don't want the excited feeling in my gut and heart acting strangely. Usually that's only with a certain amount of caffeine, but less is always better.

I also like Rockstar Killer Citrus, but can only have a few swigs of that.

Is Dew Shine in your area? Only had it once about a year ago but remember it being a pretty good soda. Half the caffeine as regular Dew IIRC. Might get you by.

I know it is not the same at all, but you could switch to ginger ale. It is in the same family profile of citrus and fruity. Easy enough to find caffeine free. It just might take some getting used to. Or use it to cut Mt. Dew to lower the caffeine levels.

You could always make your own. Recipe below was my starting point but I prefer to use all the zest from the oranges/lemons/limes and not the peel. I've also experimented with adding grapefruit and/or pineapple juice, which I like even better.

I fill 2 2-liter bottles, and carb with a carb cap using the shake method.

http://homemadesodaexpert.blogspot.com/2011/10/recipe-14-homemade-mountain-dew-sun.html

That's not a bad idea. My friend has a sodastream and he make a Dew copy that was, IMO maybe better than the original. No caffeine. I should hit him up for the recipe.

Back