No bottle carbonation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappers

Reaction score
I have been making beer and cider for about 5 years now. All my homemade drinks I let carbonate in the bottle. This year I used fizzy wine bottles and plastic champaign corks for my cider. I primed with sugar as usual but after 6 months the bottle I tried had no fizz. I tried it early as a friend who we both shared our apples said he had the same problem. We both cleaned them differently so I don't think it's to do with leaving steriliser in the bottles. I think the corks don't handle pressure!!!???

Has anyone ever had this issue before?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've not had trouble w/ priming in the bottle. How long do you allow the cider to carbonate? I had one batch that took almost two months to carbonate and another that took a couple of weeks.
You could test your caps and bottles by simply filling one bottle during primary fermentation and if the cap does not pop or the bottle explode then you know that the seal is good. I guess my other question is whether the champagne caps you are using in fact fit the bottles. I tend to use champagne type bottles and I don't know whether they have a slightly narrower neck. Have you tried bottling your cider in beer bottles. That is what I routinely do ...

Latest posts

Back