no body in watermelon wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngottshall

Reaction score
I tasted my watermelon/blueberry wine when I racked to secondary no body. So I added about 25-30 golden raisins. Should I have added more or is that enough any help would be greatly appreciated

I am lazy and often leave the fruit in there until it drops to the bottom and no longer floats or when I need to use the carboy for a new batch soon and want to bottle lol. Others may say otherwise so take my words with a grain of salt.

OK this I want to let sit for awhile before I bottle anyway. Thanks for responding. John

I tasted my watermelon/blueberry wine when I racked to secondary no body. So I added about 25-30 golden raisins. Should I have added more or is that enough any help would be greatly appreciated

:off:

Out of curiosity, what has your process been so far, and does it look like the end result will be good?

I ask because I didn't have any luck with mine and my old man's got a batch going that doesn't look to be promising. It came out tasting and smelling like sweaty gym socks :drunk:

Out of curiosity, what has your process been so far, and does it look like the end result will be good?

I ask because I didn't have any luck with mine and my old man's got a batch going that doesn't look to be promising. It came out tasting and smelling like sweaty gym socks :drunk:

My batch smell is good when I racked and stabilized used the juice from half a small melon and sugar made a syrup to backsweeten but no body so I added raisins 25 -30 per gallon I have 2 1 gallon jugs taste is good.

Was there any watermelon flavor in it? I am wanting to do a watermelon wine, but read that the flavor gets washed out. How was it other than the lack of body? What's it colored like? Do the BBs dominate?

Was there any watermelon flavor in it? I am wanting to do a watermelon wine, but read that the flavor gets washed out. How was it other than the lack of body? What's it colored like? Do the BBs dominate?

Here's a pic tasted of watermelon after I added the syrup that I made from half a watermelon and sugar.

ForumRunner_20130724_111112.jpg

ForumRunner_20130724_111101.jpg

ForumRunner_20130724_111047.jpg

You said that you used half a watermelon per gallon? Do you think that using more fruit next time would make a major impact? Or do you think that watermelon just naturally doesn't have enough flavor to shine through on its own?

No I used the juice of 3 melons to start with I used the juice from half a melon to make a syrup to back sweeten

I love the color of it so far! Three melons, were they large? I really hope this turns out well for you. I can't wait till you bottle and sample. Hopefully I will have some going by the end of summer.

How much blueberries did you add? How about water after the juice? Would you say that it was mostly juice, three melons seems like it would yield quite a bit?

Sorry for all the questions, but this seems like a really nice light wine. What was your OG? What yeast did you use?

I'll bet the wine soured in fermentation, watermelon sours really quickly I keep it chilled after juicing and make my yeast starter and chill it slowly as well so I don't shock it when I add it to the must. I got that tip from Jack Keller.

I love the color of it so far! Three melons, were they large? I really hope this turns out well for you. I can't wait till you bottle and sample. Hopefully I will have some going by the end of summer.

How much blueberries did you add? How about water after the juice? Would you say that it was mostly juice, three melons seems like it would yield quite a bit?

Sorry for all the questions, but this seems like a really nice light wine. What was your OG? What yeast did you use?

I made a 2 gallon batch after the 3 Mellon's used 2qts of water 2 pts of blueberry I used red star champagne yeast

SG was 1.080

I'll bet the wine soured in fermentation, watermelon sours really quickly I keep it chilled after juicing and make my yeast starter and chill it slowly as well so I don't shock it when I add it to the must. I got that tip from Jack Keller.

It very well could have, that stuff just tasted vile.
The recipe I used just said to toss some cut up watermelon in the bag and top off with water. It even smelled off before I removed the pulp, I'll definitely remember that for next time.
Thanks for the info! :mug:

I used 2qts for 2 gallon batch

Strange thats not a lot of water. Watermelon is a light taste by nature it already has enough water in it, the recipe I use is all melon juice, no water added. I even top up with watermelon juice I have frozen "but let warm up to room temp before adding" just so the taste shows through. The raisins may help the body. As crazy as this might sound I might try to oak it extremely lightly with something I can remove and put back in easily if its body to want (given the raisins don't help but they should ), but not so much you can taste the oak. but that's me and I kinda do crazy **** sometimes.:drunk:

You know Jack Keller said the same thing on his site about his first experience with watermelon wine. Did you have a look at his recipe now that he's got it figured out?

<<click>>

Here are some pics of my watermelon/ blueberry that was started on 6/25/13 color is perfect and the taste is there so all is good

ForumRunner_20130813_193556.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_193613.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_193626.jpg

The last batch of watermelon wine I made I used:

1 large watermelon that I juiced
4 pounds of sugar
1 pound of light dry malt extract
enough water to bring the batch up to 3 gallons

The dry malt extract added body and a bit of flavor that went well with the watermelon.

I think you shouldn't have used more raisins..........it will effect its real taste..........

Back