no blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModeloNegro

Reaction score
So this is my second batch its a hefe and I came home today and fermentation is going strong and the krausen is bursting through the bung and air lock and I dint have a tube can I just clean it off resanatize and put it back on

Yep sure can. If you are nervous about it just sanitize some tin foil and slap it on there when you yank it off to clean it.

Yea I pulled it off it was fine I think I caught it in time before it completely was ready to erupt. I sanatized a secondary air lock and the existing bung and slapped it back on it started bubbiling again right away but I think active fermentation is almost done I pitched last week thursday so almost ready to secondary thanks for the words of wisdom. Does it ever really blow over so bad that it comes out of the carboy

I always get an avalanche in the S airlock, so my LHBS suggested 1/2 inch tubing straight out of the carboy into a bowl of sanitizer. Still got Krausen in the blow off tube and sanitizer bowl. So now I just let t happen then swap to an S airlock. Easier cleaning the tube and one small bowl then the outside of the carboy and whatever else it got on.

Yea I pulled it off it was fine I think I caught it in time before it completely was ready to erupt. I sanatized a secondary air lock and the existing bung and slapped it back on it started bubbiling again right away but I think active fermentation is almost done I pitched last week thursday so almost ready to secondary thanks for the words of wisdom. Does it ever really blow over so bad that it comes out of the carboy

Yea it does, it's even better when the airlock gets plugged up in a bucket. Like the saying goes " you know your a homebrewer if you've ever used a mop on the ceiling."

I've had this happen a few times, and never had an infection. Just be real careful when you remove the airlock and clean it.

In the future I would recommend investing in a blow off tube, or some fermcap.

I've had this happen a few times, and never had an infection. Just be real careful when you remove the airlock and clean it.

In the future I would recommend investing in a blow off tube, or some fermcap.

Hunter La5....reminds me of my Air Warrior/Aces high days

Latest posts

Back