No airlock activity for 48hrs, shook it and there she goes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRollFun

Reaction score
Hello!
My 8th batch is an ESB clone I made Wednesday. First time I hit OG of a recipe right on the mark! Woo! That's the good news.

It sat for 48hrs with no visible activity, just a little krausen. I had originally pitched with a smack pack that didn't inflate too much, and I didn't make a starter. I was ready to repitch some dry yeast when I shook up the carboy (a lot had fallen out of suspension) and the airlock started bubbling and has been moving since.

Aside from maybe a little off flavors being a possibility, anyone see a problem with just leaving it as is? Probably won't hit final gravity now, but am wondering if there is anything I should do.

Pitching temp was too high and yeast wasn't very viable, as best I can guess.

Happy Sunday!

Perhaps there was a leak that kept the air lock from bubbling? If there was karousen then there was fermentation. I would just let it finish up. What yeast and what temperature?

That lil bit of krausen at 48 hours was yeast activity. Just a lil slow getting started. Shaking the snot out of it wasn't necessarilly a good idea either. Just swirling the fermenter to stir up some yeast is usually fine. Don't repitch,just leave it be. They know what to do from here...

Your fine, RDWHAHB.

The seal against the grommet might not have been ideal, plastic buckets also dont have the best seals.

It sat for 48hrs with no visible activity, just a little krausen.

You dont think krausen is a visible action??

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Your fine, RDWHAHB
You dont think krausen is a visible action??

It wasn't the amount I'm accustomed to. But yeah, totally a case of the paranoia cured by reassurance from the fine posters of HBT ;)

And don't worry- didn't shake it to death. Just a little agitation set if off.

It was wyeast 1084 (Irish ale)- aiming for 68 degrees, was probably more like 72-74.

Here's a fun part- my 9th batch, made 2 days later, is a Racer 5 clone... And it became my first near geyser requiring a blow off tube! Opposite ends of the spectrum there.

Back