No Activity in Starter - Used it Anyway!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roflomingo

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale with WL002. Violent fermentation, beer came out great. Decided to wash this yeast, so after primary fermentation, I racked the brown ale to secondary and washed the yeast. Made a starter late in the afternoon, and let it go over night. The next day, there was no activity in the starter but I decided to give it a go anyways. Brewed an IPA and pitched the yeast starter.

Its been a day and there is no activity in primary. Should I buy some dry -05 and throw that in?

Its definitely a slow start, there is ZERO activity, so I am assuming gravity would be the same.

Maybe I didnt wash the yeast properly or made too big a starter (1L). Will the yeast eventually get going, I dont mind waiting, but I dont want to run a risk if I should just re pitched now.

Also, is there a problem mixing yeast? Was going to give to to the weekend to see if anything starts moving, if not, throw in some yeast.

I do have another jar from the yeast washing that I could make a starter tonight and pitch that later in the week if the starter becomes active?

Zero activity meaning no air bubbles or your gravity reading is still at the OG?

If the former take a reading, if the latter, it can take up to 72 hours for active fermentation to begins depending on many variables:)

Man, should have waited it out. There was no action this morning but when I came home from work, the yeasties were doing their thing. It only made me nervous that there was NO activity in the starter, so with the lag in primary I figured it was a dud. Yeast are amazing organisms. All is well, hopefully wl002 will do ok for an IPA (only thing I had)

Back