No activity after 4 days. Using Wyeast 1388

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
So its been four full days now, and I am getting no activity in my Belgian IPa (recipe used is below). This is only my 4th homebrew so admittedly I had looked over the fact that I should have used a starter. What are my options now? Unfortunately I do not have a homebrew shop in driving distance that carries wyeast, so would adding another similar yeast be ok?

Please advise.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/gumballhead-raging-*****-hybrid-recipe-thoughts-231143/

I am afraid to completely open it to take a gravity reading to risk infection. There is literally no foam on the top of the beer, and from what i understand the 1388 is supposed to ferment out very aggressively.

You should take a gravity reading. Report back. If you really can't stand it, pitch an appropriate starter of the 1388.

I'm Still a newb, but I now know to pitch my yeast next time. I'm good to go its already at the fg. It just didn't ferment out as visibly as I'm used to

I am afraid to completely open it to take a gravity reading to risk infection. There is literally no foam on the top of the beer, and from what i understand the 1388 is supposed to ferment out very aggressively.

Then you don't know if you have fermentation or not...the only thing that for sure can tell you what's going on is a hydrometer reading, any other thing (airlocks, krausen, psychic friend's network,) more often than not gives you false information.

Read this for more info.....

You have to man up, grow some stones and get over the idea that openning your fermenter to do something positive like take a gravity reading, is dangerous. In homebrewing there is so much that we advise folks not to do, yet the one thing that EVERY book, podcast, magazine and website talks about is gravity readings....

How do you think we get them?

Do you think the advice to take them is a vast conspiracy by us old timers to ruin millions of new brewer's batches, so that they flee the hobby and give it a bad rap? Or so they make crappy beer and we kick your asses in contests? ;)

With simple sanitization practices openning the fermenter to take a reading is perfectly safe.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. And probably FV's whatever the heck those are....

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Taking a reading is the ONLY way to tell you and us what the yeast is doing....

Then you don't know if you have fermentation or not...the only thing that for sure can tell you what's going on is a hydrometer reading, any other thing (airlocks, krausen, psychic friend's network,) more often than not gives you false information.

Read this for more info.....

You have to man up, grow some stones and get over the idea that openning your fermenter to do something positive like take a gravity reading, is dangerous. In homebrewing there is so much that we advise folks not to do, yet the one thing that EVERY book, podcast, magazine and website talks about is gravity readings....

How do you think we get them?

Do you think the advice to take them is a vast conspiracy by us old timers to ruin millions of new brewer's batches, so that they flee the hobby and give it a bad rap? Or so they make crappy beer and we kick your asses in contests? ;)

With simple sanitization practices openning the fermenter to take a reading is perfectly safe.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. And probably FV's whatever the heck those are....

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Taking a reading is the ONLY way to tell you and us what the yeast is doing....

Awesome thanks for the info.. thats essentially what i ended up doing

I read somewhere that you cant get an accurate reading on gravity once fermentation has started using a refractometer.. is that true?

Awesome thanks for the info.. thats essentially what i ended up doing

I read somewhere that you cant get an accurate reading on gravity once fermentation has started using a refractometer.. is that true?

Yes, that's true. Alcohol skews the reading. You can find "correction tables" but I found that even they aren't 100% accurate. I like taking OG wtih the refractometer, and using it to check pre-boil gravity, but using a hydrometer once the beer has been fermenting.

Latest posts

Back