No 6 row for a simple lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at a simple lager. I'm reading a good base malt mix is 60% 2 row with 20% 6 row to help convert the rice.My LHBS had no 6 row so I'm going to try all 2 row with 20% flaked rice. Without the 6 row will there be any issues with the recipe/conversion? I have an extra 1/2 pound flaked rice. Should I add it in in case conversion is a bit low it will offset it a bit?
The recipe will be nothing but 2 row and rice using 34/70 yeast for a fast ferment. Going for a BMC type beer. Not a fan of corn

I don't think you will have a problem with just using 2-Row. I have made quite a few batches of "Cream of Three Crops" for the girl friend and I have never had an issue with conversion. That recipe is 67% 2-row and the rest is corn and rice.

I don't think you will have a problem with just using 2-Row. I have made quite a few batches of "Cream of Three Crops" for the girl friend and I have never had an issue with conversion. That recipe is 67% 2-row and the rest is corn and rice.
Cool. I didnt think it would make much of a difference but might as well ask. The LHBS also said manufacturers are no longer making or cutting back on the six row and switching there plants to all 2 row due to the lack of interest in 6 row and higher price.
Couldn't tell if that's true or not but that's what I'm being told

Cool. I didnt think it would make much of a difference but might as well ask. The LHBS also said manufacturers are no longer making or cutting back on the six row and switching there plants to all 2 row due to the lack of interest in 6 row and higher price.
Couldn't tell if that's true or not but that's what I'm being told

It probably goes back a further step, to the farmers. Supply and demand. It there is little demand for 6 row, the farmers are no going to grow as much.

I have never used any so I don't know the advantages or disadvantages. But it would be bad if it went away just because it is not used as much as 2 row.

There really isn't much of a difference at all. I've done side by sides of cream ales and the only difference was the 2row/6row. In a blind taste test no one could tell them apart. Came out to the just about the same efficiency as well.

I agree with the others that you should be able to go all 2row without issues, but there are some difference subtle between 2row and 6row. Something to do with the husk because of the structural differences and that adds to the flavor somehow. At the end of the American Premium Lager Brewing with Style episode when they come up with recipes Mitch Steele talks about it briefly.

I have some 6row I plan to turn into a pre-prohibition porter and a pre-prohibition lager and the raw grain does taste different from the standard 2row I have. The 2row is sweeter, but the grains are from different vendors so it might just be the malting.

Back