Nitrogen Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cement102

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on a Nitro setup. I am trading between getting a Nitrogen/CO2 mix bottle, and getting pure nitrogen bottle and mixing using the CO2 tank I already have. (Carb to 7psi CO2, than move to 32ish PSI Nitro). Couple questions:

- Are there food grade concerns with nitrogen (gas or tank), or are they pretty generic.
- Does anyone else use 100% nitro like I described above?

Any suggestions/thoughts/advice would be appreciated

I can't figure out the difference between these tanks:
Option 1:
https://gascylindersource.com/shop/...rogen-tanks/20-cu-ft-steel-nitrogen-cylinder/

Option 2:
https://gascylindersource.com/shop/...nks/20-cu-ft-steel-co2-nitrogen-mix-cylinder/

There is no difference between those two cylinders.
They both sport cga-580 valves (proper for mixed gas and straight nitrogen) and likely have the same burst disk ratings.

btw, before investing in a shiny cylinder, make sure you have a process to get it refilled, lest you end up waving a sad Good Bye to it when you're stuck doing exchanges...

Cheers!

^^^correct.

However, if you are looking to buy new, their price, plus shipping, (to my location), is cheaper than any of the homebrew-related sites.

If you serve using pure nitro, your beer will slowly lose carbonation as head space increases, and the creamy head will diminish with it. Nitrogen is used as a supplement gas in beergas in order to push the beer at high pressure without overcarbonating the beer. The CO2 in beer gas is there to maintain the required (albeit low) amount of carbonation in the beer. Setups vary, but my nitro tap uses 80/20 N2/CO2 beergas at about 27 psi, pushing 52F beer. It pours with the same perfect head and cascading bubbles from the first pour to the last pint of the keg.

I went to an AirGas retailer and initially "bought" a 60 cu. ft. tank, then I do an exchange whenever needed. I don't own any particular tank, but they will not loan you one. I forget exactly what I paid for the tank, but exchanges are between $40-60, depending on location.

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice!

I went ahead and ordered the tank. I think I am going to experiment a bit (the fun part) with using a CO2 and N2 mixing in tank. I think I am going to try to carb a bit, then ramp the pressure with N2. Might have to burp and remix a few times, we'll see. A trade in for premix is $40 (best I have found). I can get the weld shop down the street to fill the N2 for $8. Might as well give it a shot!

If you serve using pure nitro, your beer will slowly lose carbonation as head space increases, and the creamy head will diminish with it. Nitrogen is used as a supplement gas in beergas in order to push the beer at high pressure without overcarbonating the beer. The CO2 in beer gas is there to maintain the required (albeit low) amount of carbonation in the beer. Setups vary, but my nitro tap uses 80/20 N2/CO2 beergas at about 27 psi, pushing 52F beer. It pours with the same perfect head and cascading bubbles from the first pour to the last pint of the keg.

I went to an AirGas retailer and initially "bought" a 60 cu. ft. tank, then I do an exchange whenever needed. I don't own any particular tank, but they will not loan you one. I forget exactly what I paid for the tank, but exchanges are between $40-60, depending on location.

Do you carbonate your beer with pure co2 and use the nitro 80/20 only to pour, or use the mix to carbonate and pour?
Thanks!

Back