Nitrogen gas mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushnbugs

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a newbie and I have some questions about a Nitrogen gas mix.

I have only brewed one so far (Kolsch) and I plan on kegging it when completed. I have my corny kegs regulator and co2 ready to go. I just ordered a Cream Ale for the next one. My local bar has the cream ale on nitrogen and it's my all time favorite. It's so creamy and the flavor is amazing. I can only hope mine comes out close...

How does the gas mix work? Does anyone here run nitrogen at home for a Guiness like beer? Do you need two regulators? How expensive is it to run?
Can I dispense my cream ale on the nitrogen mix should I find it at an affordable price?

I would really love to make my own but I'm just not sure how doable this is. Am I starting out trying to do too much?

Thank you in advance!

Nitrogen mix requires a separate regulator and tap. The reg is not the same as the CO2 regs. It also requires a Nitrogen tank. The tap (they are expensive $90+) has a special plate in it with micro holes (mine has 5 holes). The Nitrogen is kept at 30 to 35 psi. This high pressure forces the beer through the micro holes and that is what produces the tiny bubbles that provide the 'cascade' effect and the creaminess.

I am still on my first tank of beer mix, running a Porter through it. So I don't know how long a tank will last.

Hope this helps.

I'll second what the previous poster said... I'd say you're looking at at least $250+ to get a nitro tap up and running... Faucet, shank, beer gas regulator, tank, it all adds up real fast.

Thanks for the info...

I found a gut today that sells welding supplies and he has a 20 pound aluminum tank for $106, he said it includes the first fill up of Nitrogen and CO2 free. I thought that sounded reasonable.

So I would need a regulator and the tap. I saw on one of the web sites where they sell an adapter for the CO2 regulator. Can I use the adapter and my Micromatic regulator setup that I have on the CO2 for now?

Would this work with the Cream Ale?

I have no idea if this would work but since I'm brewing some Guinness clone brew for St. Pattys day I'm thinking about using one of the Nitrogen paintball tanks and getting a 20 dollar adapter so I can hook it up to the regulator. I'm not sure if I could convince someone to fill it up with CO2 and nitrogen but if I can I think it would be a pretty cheap setup.
Regarding the tap I saw this thread a while back.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/under-15-00-plus-s-h-picnic-tap-stout-tap-modification-233151/
Theres also a thread mentioned somewhere on there where the guy tried pretty much exactly what I just explained. It might be worth looking into.

I don't want to thread jack but I am looking to do this as well. Is it one tank for the mix or is it two seperate tanks and it needs to be blended some how?

thanks

Thanks for the info...

I found a gut today that sells welding supplies and he has a 20 pound aluminum tank for $106, he said it includes the first fill up of Nitrogen and CO2 free. I thought that sounded reasonable.

So I would need a regulator and the tap. I saw on one of the web sites where they sell an adapter for the CO2 regulator. Can I use the adapter and my Micromatic regulator setup that I have on the CO2 for now?

Would this work with the Cream Ale?

I run my stouts on beer gas. That price for a Nitro tank is awsome, jump on it. I would just spend some of that money you saved on that deal to buy a real nitrogen regulator. A nitro tank and nitro regulator are rated at a higher pressure then a normal CO2 tank and reg.

I have a nitro setup as well. The typical beer gas mix is 75% N2/25% CO2. Thus driving the lines at around 30 PSI is needed not only to push the beer through the stout restrictor plate, but also to maintain carbonation in your keg. At 30 PSI, you are placing 30/4 or 7.5 PSI of CO2 on your beer - this will keep it carbonated at around 2.0 volumes of CO2 @ 42F (typical keg serving temps). Too much CO2 volume and you'll be having too much foam and potentially wasting precious beer.

Red dog thanks for the info…very helpful. Rwinzing its one tank with 75% Nitro and 25% CO2

So when I got to this place to buy that tank I realize that a 20 pound nitro tank is MUCH smaller than a 20 pound CO2 tank. Yes it was aluminum and very nice but kind of small I thought, so I asked the guy what the next size up was.

He pulls out another tank thats about the same size as my CO2. This tank is a 60 cubic foot steel tank for the Nitro/CO2 G-Mix.

He tells me the tank sells for 159 and its a FREE first fill and has a 10 year Hydro on it, unlike the Aluminum tank that has a five year hydro. He also tells me that it is more than 3 times bigger with the volume and the it only costs 2 dollars more to fill the bigger one over the aluminum one when I have to come get it filled.

OK I bit the bullet and jumped on the bigger one, probably don't NEED that big of a tank but I got it anyhow.

Now I have to get my Cream Ale in the fermenter so I can try this out…

:mug:

Latest posts

Back