Nitro tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tclary2

Reaction score
For the pros out here I gave a question...if I buy a 5gal commercial beer keg which I am guessing has been carbed up. Can I hook it to a nitro tap? It would be a stout but does it matter that it’s already carbed with co2? Also, will it be good or do you just need to get Guinness and be done with it? Thanks

If you're dispensing through a stout faucet you'll want to be driving the beer with at least 30 psi of beer gas. If you try that with anything carbonated above roughly 1.2 volumes you'll end up with a foam fest - the higher the carbonation level the "festier" the foamage.

If you buy a keg intended to be dispensed via a stout faucet it should have a suitably low carbonation level. I don't know if that means resorting to Guinness ;)

Cheers!

I have a friend who just set up a kegerator. He loves stouts on nitro. How can he lower the co2 volume on a commercial keg until it reaches a suitable nitro level. Is it just a matter of releasing co2 with a relief valve until it serves properly?

I have a friend who just set up a kegerator. He loves stouts on nitro. How can he lower the co2 volume on a commercial keg until it reaches a suitable nitro level. Is it just a matter of releasing co2 with a relief valve until it serves properly?

I'd try putting on the keg coupler with some kind of valve on the gas line. release the pressure on the gas line valve every day, maybe a few times a day for a few days. haven't tried this with sankey d coupler, so might not work. i don't have a lot of experience with them. then, hook up the nitro setup and see if it works. it should lose carbonation within a few days i would think. i did that with a keg of homebrew i converted to a nitro beer. i just pulled the PRV for a few days to get the carbonation level down.

you could transfer the beer to a homebrew keg and then release pressure on that i guess if you can't do it with the sankey keg coupler. no big deal if you get some beer/foam into the gas line on the coupler though i guess as long as you are just using it to degas the beer. you can always take the coupler off and clean and sanitize it when you are ready to hook up the nitro gas.

Latest posts

Back