nitro beer for a summer party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to add a nitro beer to my beer list for a summer party I am throwing. My favorite beers I've done on nitro were a Bell's Best Brown and a Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale that were both absolutely incredible. however, I thought it might be nice to dial back the malt a bit for a summer party. Nitro blonde maybe? nitro amber?

Nitro golden stout...?

I’m not sure I’ve had a nitro beer that wasn’t dark and/or full bodied, the opposite of a summer beer. Id guess there are reasonable examples out there, I’ve never had one.

I don't remember who makes it, but I see "cali creamin" on nitro occasionally. Its a nice summer sipper. I think its mother earth brewing co?

I think Anderson valley brewing had a cream ale on nitro also at their tap house. It's been a while, so I don't promise that these were the breweries.

went with a nitro blond ale. mostly pale with some C20 and Cal ale. hope it turns out well. One thing I learned doing nitro is to get as crystal clear of beer as possible for the best super creamy head

Interesting. I was asked by a start-up brew pub owner today if I thought his Milkshake NEIPA would work well on nitro. I offered to take a keg home and try it but he didn't bite ;)

I honestly don't know if it would benefit the beer or not. I haven't used lactose in any brew in well over a decade (so I haven't brewed that style) and the one beer I keep on nitro year 'round is an imperial chocolate stout. But this milkshake beer had a character that made me think it'd work. It'd have to be carbonated appropriately though - putting a ~2.4 volume beer through a nitro faucet is a tragic mistake.

I may have to dabble in that style - maybe split off half a batch of an neipa and carry that on as a milkshake and see how it works out. Worst case it goes back in the conditioning fridge for a full CO2 carbonation and then put back on a regular faucet...

Cheers!

Interesting. I was asked by a start-up brew pub owner today if I thought his Milkshake NEIPA would work well on nitro. I offered to take a keg home and try it but he didn't bite ;)

I honestly don't know if it would benefit the beer or not. I haven't used lactose in any brew in well over a decade (so I haven't brewed that style) and the one beer I keep on nitro year 'round is an imperial chocolate stout. But this milkshake beer had a character that made me think it'd work. It'd have to be carbonated appropriately though - putting a ~2.4 volume beer through a nitro faucet is a tragic mistake.

I may have to dabble in that style - maybe split off half a batch of an neipa and carry that on as a milkshake and see how it works out. Worst case it goes back in the conditioning fridge for a full CO2 carbonation and then put back on a regular faucet...

Cheers!

yeah, i keep thinking about nitro neipa. might be possible even if lacking CO2 hurts it some. good hop stand hops might help as that character might carry through more

I can't remember where I had it, but a brewery I visited about a year ago had either a milkshake or ne ipa on tap as a nitro. It was awesome. The beer I thought was good, but the nitro gave it a creamier feel, reminding me of a nitro stout, but flavor profile of the ipa style it was. Something I'd like to try myself whenever I start kegging.

I do pale ales on nitro. You need to brew them a little different than for CO2 taps. Go a bit heavier on the crystal malts and specialty grains and hop for flavor over aroma. Don't bother dry hopping, the nitro kills the aroma.

This beer is 20% CaraRed malt and has 2 mixed ounces of some South African hops.

IMG_2635.JPG

Back