Nicker Bocker, knicker Baucker(sp) anyone know a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
Back when I was about 4 years old (‘82) I remember my dad only drank nicker bocker. At the age of four I don’t remember the spelling, never tried it obviously.

My dad passed away five years ago, so I can’t ask him if it’s something to try and clone or if he just drank it because it was cheap. My family was always working class, successful, always making ends meet, but no wasteful spending.

If anyone has a a recipe or remember what kind of beer it was I’d appreciate it. I’d like to make a 1 gallon batch either way.

Knickerbocker, Rupert Knickerbocker

Recipes for the old American regional lagers are almost impossible to come by. Here's a generic version that should at least get you in the neighborhood. The hops in this recipe are going to generate about 20% excess IBUs so you can adjust as required.

7 lbs American 2-row

.5 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt; Briess

1.75 lbs Corn Flaked (Maize)

.5 oz Cluster (Pellets, 7.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.

.5 oz Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 20 min.

Yeast : Wyeast 2272-PC North American Lager

Thank you! I have Saturday off, so I’ll give it a shot. Been wanting to stop by my LHBS for awhile, now I have an excuse.

My dad grew up in NYC, Rupert's Brewery was in the neighborhood.
I have acquired a Kickerbocker tap handle and Rupert's wooden keg in his memory.
Good luck with your beer.

I've made Heilemans Special Export....
HeilemansL81-24a-479x800.jpeg

How did it go? Since you just mentioned it in the random picture thread?

Work got in the way, and to be honest I completely forgot about it afterwards. I’m going to print the recipe now so I don’t forget again. Running your own business can wreak havoc on your brain at times. Priorities....

I've been working up a recipe I'll probably get around to brewing when it's lawnmower season, adapted from some actual 1975 Schlitz brewing records I was surreptitiously provided and some additional research to fill in the gaps. That might be of interest to anyone hankering for this sort of beer. If I ever brew it and quit drinking it long enough to remember, I'll share the recipe. [emoji6]

Back