Nice time for an American Brown-how does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Planning on doing an American Brown ale for the fall. Kudos goes to Lil Sparky and his famous Brown ale recipe that I used as a starting point. Let me know what you think?

Partial Mash - OG 1.057 - FG 1.014 - IBU 24.5 - Color 22.1

2.75 lb Marris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Victory
.75 Flaked Oats
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Honey Malt

3 lb Light Dry Extract

1 oz Fuggles - 60 min
1 oz E. K. Goldings 15 min
.5 oz Cascade

Wyeast London Ale yeast 1028

Looking for something with a little more body/character that your typical English Brown.

I was thinking of adding .25 lb Special B or Crystal 120 for a little layer of additional flavor (and removing .25 lb from the oats as 6 lbs is the max I can go with my partial mash setup).

Let me know what you think so far?

Thanks in advance!

Planning on doing an American Brown ale for the fall. Kudos goes to Lil Sparky and his famous Brown ale recipe that I used as a starting point. Let me know what you think?

Partial Mash - OG 1.057 - FG 1.014 - IBU 24.5 - Color 22.1

2.75 lb Marris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Victory
.75 Flaked Oats
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Honey Malt

3 lb Light Dry Extract

1 oz Fuggles - 60 min
1 oz E. K. Goldings 15 min
.5 oz Cascade

Looking for something with a little more body/character that your typical English Brown.

I was thinking of adding .25 lb Special B or Crystal 120 for a little layer of additional flavor (and removing .25 lb from the oats as 6 lbs is the max I can go with my partial mash setup).

Let me know what you think so far?

Thanks in advance!

With all that Marris otter
Fuggles
EKG
And wyeast 1082
is doesn't seem all that "American"

If using a less attenuative English ale yeast I would cut the crystal down to a half pound. And as the other poster mentioned not American, which is perfectly fine, just don't enter it in comps as an American unless you throw another 2+ American hops at flameout and/or dryhop :)

Otherwise looks pretty good as is

I think you can actually go a lot lighter on the specialty malts. You have 7 different kinds of malt/malt extract and over 30% of your malt bill is specialty malt. The Sierra Nevada tumbler clone I make is 92% US 2 row + 3 specialty malts. It is outstanding.

Thanks for the input guys. Especially the crack about it not being too American with all the English ingredients :)

I subbed 2-row for the MO, cut the crystal 60 to 1/2 lb, cut the Flaked oats to 1/2 lb, and just added 1/4 lb of Special B. I also subbed Willamette for the English hops.

3.25 lb 2-Row
.5 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Victory
.5 Flaked Oats
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Honey Malt
.25 lb Special B Malt
3 lb Light Dry Extract

1 oz Willamette- 60 min
1 oz Willamette 15 min
.5 oz Cascade

What do you think now?

Not sure about the yeast either, should i go with 1056 or 1272 instead of the 1028?

Back