Nice surprise on a Sunday morning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Warning: incoming newbie-brewer first time medaling excitement!

Woke up today and found out that my American IPA came in second place in Style 14 at my Homebrew club's annual BJCP competition yesterday (35 entries in IPA categories, 400 total in event). Second competition, so I am totally stoked! Can't wait to get the score sheets and get some feedback.

P.S. I <3 Citra!

Woke up today and found out that my American IPA came in second place in Style 14 at my Homebrew club's annual BJCP competition yesterday (35 entries in IPA categories, 400 total in event). Second competition, so I am totally stoked! Can't wait to get the score sheets and get some feedback.

P.S. I <3 Citra!
Congrats, I thought I recognized that name when i was reading through. Life got in the way and I forgot to ship my entries...

Nice job OP. That's a very large competition for local club.

Thanks! SAAZ (Society of Akron Area Zymurgists) probably has 125-150 members. Plus, we benefit from having the SNOBs (Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers) just up the road from us in Cleveland.

Wizard of SAAZ (our competition) and Son of Brewzilla (the SNOBs competition) definitely seem to be well entered/attended! :ban:

Congrats! Care to share your recipe?

You betcha!

I am but a lowly partial-boil, stovetop, extract brewer...but here is the recipe that managed to score me a silver medal!

Method: Extract
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV: 5.83
IBU: 74.4
SRM: 6.31

Steeping Grains
(30 min at 150 degrees)
0.625lb Crystal 40L

Fermentables
3lb DME Extra Light
1lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose
3lb DME Light (late addition)

Hops
60 min - 1oz Magnum (12.6 AA) - 43.04 IBU
15 min - 0.5oz Citra (14.6 AA) - 12.37 IBU
10 min - 0.5oz Citra (14.6 AA) - 9.04 IBU
5 min - 1oz Citra (14.6 AA) - 9.94 IBU
0 min - 2oz Citra (14.6 AA)
Dry Hop - 3oz Citra for 5 days in primary (dry hopped at 14 days)

15 min - 1 tab, Whirlfloc

Yeast
US-05 - 1 pack rehydrated

I fermented in my basement w/o temperature control. Batch was started in late January; my ambient basement temperature was hovering around 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

One of the judges said that he wanted a little bit more hop aroma from the beer - I think this could have been achieved by brewing slightly closer to the competition date...there was about 2 months between pitching and when the beer was judged. Tightening up that timeline would have probably helped with this.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments. Thanks! :rockin:

Thanks! SAAZ (Society of Akron Area Zymurgists) probably has 125-150 members. Plus, we benefit from having the SNOBs (Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers) just up the road from us in Cleveland.

Wizard of SAAZ (our competition) and Son of Brewzilla (the SNOBs competition) definitely seem to be well entered/attended! :ban:

I cannot wait until Son of Brewzilla! Didn't place last year unfortunately.

P.S. I <3 Citra!

Bask it in brother, you earned it!

Latest posts

Back