NHC question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I've printed out the NHC handbook, and looked pretty extensively at the 2015 BJCP style guide. I'm not sure I'll enter or be chosen, but my Q concerns a 7.9% StickeAltbier that is just coming ready and so far seems like it's good enough.
But the category 7B Altbier specifically says "no sticke or dopplesticke". And I can't find any other category that it would fit.
So, where would you put it?
Thanks for you input!

Its in specialty beer according to the 2008 bjcp http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php not sure where that lines up with the AHA because they do have their own system.

the 2015 guidelines break up specialty beer into more categories and I didn't see any specify beers listed. I still think that is where it goes. I would reach out to the AHA to be sure, wouldn't want to waste a $12 entry fee.

Its in specialty beer according to the 2008 bjcp http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php not sure where that lines up with the AHA because they do have their own system.

the 2015 guidelines break up specialty beer into more categories and I didn't see any specify beers listed. I still think that is where it goes. I would reach out to the AHA to be sure, wouldn't want to waste a $12 entry fee.

$14 this year ;)
I submitted a sample of last year's version to a local competition as #34 Specialty Beer but it was a local non-BJCP competition. I have posted the same Q to the AHA forum. We'll see what they say.
Thanks jekeane!

The cost is pretty crazy... I wouldn't be doing it again this year if not for the Tampa judging location. Our club is driving entries there. Florida has a pretty solid competition circuit so I can get enough critique that way way.

Back