NHC competition - can't register, server slammed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From AHA Facebook's Page:

NHC Registration Update: The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) is halting National Homebrew Competition (NHC) registration due to the extensive technical difficulties with the system that we have been troubleshooting (to limited effect) since registration opened earlier today. We will post updates on the status of NHC registration as we have them.

The AHA is deeply sorry for the problems associated with NHC registration today. The AHA worked in advance with our providers to ensure that registration would be seamless. But as we all saw, that did not result as promised or planned. We accept responsibility for today’s failures, and we apologize for the headaches.

We realize there will be many questions about next steps for existing and hopeful registrants. Again, please stay tuned for details.

Thank you for your support of the National Homebrew Competition. At the end of the day, the NHC—the world’s largest beer competition—is a testament to your creativity and success as homebrewers. Cheers to that, and again, please accept our apologies.

Off of the AHA site:

National Homebrew Competition Registration Update
National Homebrew Competition Registration Update

NHC Registration Update: The American Homebrewers Association (AHA) is halting National Homebrew Competition (NHC) registration due to the extensive technical difficulties with the system that we have been troubleshooting (to limited effect) since registration opened earlier today. We will post updates on the status of NHC registration as we have them.

The AHA is deeply sorry for the problems associated with NHC registration today. The AHA worked in advance with our providers to ensure that registration would be seamless. But as we all saw, that did not result as promised or planned. We accept responsibility for today’s failures, and we apologize for the headaches.

We realize there will be many questions about next steps for existing and hopeful registrants. Again, please stay tuned for details.

Thank you for your support of the National Homebrew Competition. At the end of the day, the NHC—the world’s largest beer competition—is a testament to your creativity and success as homebrewers. Cheers to that, and again, please accept our apologies.

See, the major problem is that so many people want to enter that the 15 entry limit per person is extremely unrealistic. Furthermore, those folks who are willing to drop a couple thousand dollars on actually attending the conference are now potentially sitting through an awards banquet that they didn't even have a chance to place at. I think people who have a conference full pass should have first dibs at getting ONE entry registered into the first round. That seems to be the most fair. The day after that window closes, or several hours later, open entry for up to 3 entries. Hey, if your region still has room a day later, open it up to 4 entries. Why is it that the most persistent or lucky can get 15 in and 14 other people can't get any?

So the front page now says it reflects those who have registered AND PAID. So that's why the numbers have been going back up from zero. I went ahead a tried paying again since my entry didn't reflect my previous payment (even though I received an email receipt and it's already shown up at the bank). After my second payment the system now says I'm paid and good to go.

At least now I've got the peace of mind knowing my entry is officially in the system. I'll just have them cancel my first payment if (and most likely when) I'm charged twice. Anyone with $17 or $12 to spare, it might be worth paying again just to make sure you're in.

To hell with paying twice. I sent Janis an email with my email receipt saying I was marked as "unpaid" despite paying. They have a day or two to sort it out. If they choose to cancel my entries, I guess they can do that if they want to, but I'll be done with the AHA henceforth.

I eventually got mine in - wanted to send to Milwaukee..... but it was just not ever coming up. Eventually, just went ahead and registered for St. Paul at about 3:15...... when I finally decided to go with St. Paul at that point, it took the entries just fine - no problems. Up til that point - Same CF everyone else was experiencing.
COuld have been worse, sounds like my struggles pale in comparison to the problems others had/are still having.

Ridiculous that it happened the way it did.

weirdboy said:
To hell with paying twice. I sent Janis an email with my email receipt saying I was marked as "unpaid" despite paying. They have a day or two to sort it out. If they choose to cancel my entries, I guess they can do that if they want to, but I'll be done with the AHA henceforth.

I'm in the same boat and did the same thing as well as voicemails left, the whole thing is a huge fuster cluck and very frustrating! 2hours spent on line to get 4 entries in and paid for and I'm not even sure if its legit or not-really piss poor execution!

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!

Thought it was funny i was denied entry because i have a Mac...

Internet Explorer 8.....BAHAHAHAHAHA

What a joke.

Can someone post the link for registration? The "online registration" link on AHA does nothing. Where are you suppose to go to start the process? I can't even get to the point where I'm getting the 503 error message.

TL;DR - 5 entries per person will go a long way, but still won't fix the problem.

I'm glad I missed the fun while at work. I had an awesome hiccup when I did get in (around 4:30). There were 700 entries in NYC - I registered and there were suddenly 850 or so. I got blocked out, called the AHA, and they gave me a "fake" AHA member number to register for GA (kept giving me an AHA member number already registered -- even with a new e-mail address).

Got my 3 registered and paid for there!

I'm with the people saying 5 entries per person, but even that won't fix the problem. Look at the numbers -- if everyone registered 15 beers, that's only 50 people per testing location. I'm certain there's more than 50 people interested in registering in my state (RI) and my neighbor (MA) alone. NYC is our closest spot.

750 entries / 15 entries per person >= 50 people
750 entries / 5 entries per person >=150 people

There's still a problem until you add a 3rd round of judging (state/regional prelims).

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!

Thought it was funny i was denied entry because i have a Mac...

Internet Explorer 8.....BAHAHAHAHAHA

What a joke.

The IE8 requirement was just to make sure the browser supported the necessary set of HTML5 features. Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox all seem to work fine on the site, presuming you are using modern variants of them.

The IE8 requirement was just to make sure the browser supported the necessary set of HTML5 features. Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox all seem to work fine on the site, presuming you are using modern variants of them.

...and that's why I couldn't register at work. IE7. Locked. Hooray for ancient, centralized IT.

After today's cluster bless and seeing how quickly some of the sites filled up, I think the AHA needs to re-think how they do NHC. The hobby is continuing to grow in popularity. There needs to be more competition sites and a serious reduction in the number of entries per person although I highly doubt that anyone got close to that 15 entry limit. It's crazy to think a 750 beer competition filled up in a matter of minutes in the case of NYC - good god, I hope they have enough judges. I also agree with Bobby M's recommendation a few pages back on giving NHC goers priority on entry.

I got my two beers in, paid for, and printed my labels. I guess now I get to wait and see if they invalidate my entries as they sort this out. I'm thinking they're going to be issuing a lot of refunds and dealing with a lot of angry people.

After today's cluster bless and seeing how quickly some of the sites filled up, I think the AHA needs to re-think how they do NHC. The hobby is continuing to grow in popularity. There needs to be more competition sites and a serious reduction in the number of entries per person although I highly doubt that anyone got close to that 15 entry limit. It's crazy to think a 750 beer competition filled up in a matter of minutes in the case of NYC - good god, I hope they have enough judges. I also agree with Bobby M's recommendation a few pages back on giving NHC goers priority on entry.

The problem with that is NHC tickets sell out even faster, although hundreds are sold to people who end up backing out after they buy them.

Just received an email telling me that I still haven't paid and if I believe that I did pay I should login to check my registration. :drunk: their compounded incompetence is irritating.

Just received an email telling me that I still haven't paid and if I believe that I did pay I should login to check my registration. :drunk: their compound incompetence is irritating.

I just got the same. I went ahead and paid again. But if the first charges post and go through there's going to be a major problem.

Huaco said:
^^^^
I recieved an email stating that "I had at least one paid entry... but it would be good to log in to check"

I got the same e-mail. I was able to log in. All of my entries had green check marks next to them..

Sounds like I was not the only one with issues registering a beer for NHC2013. I was able to register and add a beer, but it took over an hour. I am in Region 10 (Zanesville). The biggest problem was after registering the beer, I paid but received an error message stating that the payment went through, however, the report to the merchant did not go through and my bank account was charged, however, my account on the competition site says that I am unpaid. I hope that my entry is not voided after 24 hours as non-paid even though I am paid.

Now I received the same email mentioned above from AHA and double checked my account. Still marked as unpaid. Guess I am going to have to submit another payment, one of which better be refunded.

It is also pretty shady that I could not register to their forum to comment on my experience. It seems new registrations have become disabled. I had to come to homebrewtalk just to share and see what other people encountered.

This experience felt like trying to get Dark Lord Day tickets all over again.

I don't agree with giving attendees priority - simply because not everyone gets to attend that would like to (lots of people missed out on that too), and depending on where it is held it may not be feasible to attend - but that should not mean you get less of a chance to even enter a beer.
Really, the MCAB contest, and its format is probably a possible way to go. Take "x" number of big, well run, contests throughout the year and use them as the "regional" or qualifying contests. You could have 15-20 of these even... Finish Top 3 (or top 2, or whatever) in one of those and you are qualified for that category.
I also think more stringent entry limits might help somewhat as well.

Got the email saying I hadn't paid. Logged in and the website says the same thing but it won't allow me to submit a second payment. Got this message

"The number of limit paid entries (750) has been reached. The payment system is no longer active."

Emailed Janis Gross.

my "payment" has been spinning for about 25 minutes and has not timed out yet. I recieved an email confirmation of my payment, but the website has still not displayed any sort of payment confirmation message. I will give it a while and see what happens. If they don't get it straight, they will not get my two entries or my membership money. This process has been a real cluster since the process started. If the payment system was not 100%, they should not have sent out email messages telling people to pay for their entries.

So, if you haven't registered yet, are you doomed? I couldn't check the site until about 6PM EST (due to work), and haven't done anything. I wanted to register in Denver, but they say they have 763 entries already. Is that true, or just a bug?

So now I got an automated email from NHC telling me that my entries aren't fully registered until I pay, which I have already done, and that they will cancel my entries at noon tomorrow if I don't pay up AGAIN by that time.

I cannot believe how much they screwed this up.

So now I got an automated email from NHC telling me that my entries aren't fully registered until I pay, which I have already done, and that they will cancel my entries at noon tomorrow if I don't pay up AGAIN by that time.

I cannot believe how much they screwed this up.

Total speculation, but maybe they're cancelling all payments to in essence restart the clock tomorrow?

I got an e-mail saying mine are all good, paid for, and I don't have to do anything else - so I am assuming they are not cancelling all payments and resetting...

Mine are in St. Paul

I got the same email as Braufessor for KC. I was able to log in and verify that I am showed as paid.

+1 to whoever suggested an MCAB format. NHC is getting too popular to manage in its current implementation.

That's a *little* unfair, as I'm sure Janis is pulling her hair out right about now. That said, this process is worse (from my end) than signing up for actual NHC tickets was last year. There's something broken here.

Yeah, Janis has had a pretty bad day. The NHC tickets were a cluster, and now the NHC competition registration was a disaster.

Please remember that even though we rely on software for so much, that in the end that human beings are behind the scenes and they didn't want this to happen, of course.

Janis got over 1,000 emails this afternoon. So, if you got a "out of office" reply, that's why.

Just received an email telling me that I still haven't paid and if I believe that I did pay I should login to check my registration. :drunk: their compounded incompetence is irritating.

Again, there is a difference between human incompetence and computer crashes. The people behind the scenes worked hard to make it go smoothly- and were not at all pleased by this.

People do the best they can do, as frustrating as it is for people like us trying to register for the NHC.

My guess from the wording of the email we got is that registration will remain closed, and if necessary those who registered in a center that allowed extra entries would be bumped to a difference center with their registration honored. And only then would any space left be reopened for additional registration.

Back