Next step after extract.. partial or AG BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Horrible

Reaction score
My very first recipe was a 1G BIAB that I got as a gift. It wasn't too bad at all. After that, I did 5G extract recipes.

Is there any value in moving to partial first? Since you're mashing both ways, is there anything "easier" about partial?

My very first recipe was a 1G BIAB that I got as a gift. It wasn't too bad at all. After that, I did 5G extract recipes.

Is there any value in moving to partial first? Since you're mashing both ways, is there anything "easier" about partial?

The only thing "easier" is that if your mash doesn't work as expected for some reason, you've got the extract as a backstop to keep your OG decent. But assuming you've got a big enough pot, there's no reason not to jump right into full-on all-grain BIAB. You can always keep a bag of DME standing by to boost up your gravity if it reads low after the mash.

The only thing "easier" is that if your mash doesn't work as expected for some reason, you've got the extract as a backstop to keep your OG decent. But assuming you've got a big enough pot, there's no reason not to jump right into full-on all-grain BIAB. You can always keep a bag of DME standing by to boost up your gravity if it reads low after the mash.
I have a 40Q brew bot, should be sufficient for 5 gallon batches I hope?

Just as a "confidence builder", keep some DME on hand. If you put a teaspoon of it in your otherwise AG batch it is now a partial mash because part of the fermentables came from extract. ;)

On a more serious note, once I started BIAB, there was no looking back. I find it just too easy to get great efficiency with BIAB.

Other than How to Brew, any recommendations for books to read to learn more about the process? I enjoy reading up on the topics before getting started. Not sure if HTB has a section on BIAB, or just AG in general. I'll have to scan through it again.

Other than How to Brew, any recommendations for books to read to learn more about the process? I enjoy reading up on the topics before getting started. Not sure if HTB has a section on BIAB, or just AG in general. I'll have to scan through it again.

When you go into the all grain brewing section, at the top is a separate section called BIAB Brewing. There is lots of info in that section plus what you see in the all grain section.

I have a 40Q brew bot, should be sufficient for 5 gallon batches I hope?

A ten gallon pot should get you started in BIAB. I've been using an 8 gal pot for 5 gal batches (5.5-5.7 gal to fermenter), but it's a little tight for OG's above about 1.060. All you need to get going now is a bag (Wilser's are popular, but there are lots of options.) You can stay with BIAB indefinitely, or move on to three vessel at any time.

Brew on :mug:

I went from doing Cooper's canned kits with additional DME to partial mashing using Cooper's kits as the extract addition and to provide the bittering hop addition. I mashed my grains BIAB style and then did a one hour boil with aroma/flavour hop additions. I added the kit extract at flameout. I did that a few times to build my confidence and then moved on to all grain BIAB brewing.

Exactly what I did moving from kit-n-kilo to E/SG to pb/pm biab. Adding DME & hops to the cans to boost them or make a different style out of them. I used to call those brews recombinent extract. :D I've even used Cooper's cans as the extract in some partial mash beers, like a dark hybrid lager that many liked. So I'd say partial mash would be a fine next step. I started PM with the same 5 gallon (20qt) SS stock pot I started with by adding a 5 gallon nylon bag for the grains. A smaller 2-2.5 gallon SS pot for the dunk sparge which works great & is easy.:mug:

There are many many many people that start with AG right from the get go. Don't be intimidated, it is very easy. I never understood why so many are scared to try it. If you can read a thermometer, you can mash grain.

It's not just fear of the unknown, but the sheer volume of grains needed & the size & amount of equipment needed. Not to mention, doing 5 or 6 gallon batches of AG on the stove.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend some time and effort getting prepared. Do some reading, understand the process, acquire the right equipment, etc. before taking the plunge. My first brewday was AG. I was prepared. I got all the needed equipment to do it correctly, probably spending less than $300 total not including the kegging equipment, and it went off without a hitch. Loads of other people have done the same. Go for it!

You can always make a smaller AG batch - as far as books go I started with Charlie Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing - started it with Extract and eventually moved onto the advanced sections and still reference it when needed. I made my first all-grain batch without any significant investment - I just made a 2.5 gal recipe on a easy to make quality beer (relative low gravity OG = 1.038-1.042). I had a 7 gal turkey fryer brew pot and had a cooler I used as a mash tun and got a fruit bag for my grains. I wanted something for an easy cleanup and to also work through all my numbers eventually. You will find that you need to figure out your boil off constants etc. Starting off with something small will allow you to learn the additional variables of all grain brewing, then you can develop a system and decide on how much you will want to spend on additional equipment ---you can be creative and come up with a system that works well without spending a lot of money....if you do higher gravity beers then you will definitely need more capacity..its all about having fun with it and getting something good to drink out of it as well. Don't sweat it, have a beer.

It's not just fear of the unknown, but the sheer volume of grains needed & the size & amount of equipment needed. Not to mention, doing 5 or 6 gallon batches of AG on the stove.
I have been using a 10G pot with an outdoor burner for my extract recipes, so I should be OK doing 5G batches of AG right? I just may get a rubbermaid cooler, I've heard those are good for the mashing step.

In that case you're good to go. Unless you can lift a heavy, wet grain bag. then a cooler mash tun would be the way to go. :mug:

Exactly what I did moving from kit-n-kilo to E/SG to pb/pm biab. Adding DME & hops to the cans to boost them or make a different style out of them. I used to call those brews recombinent extract. :D I've even used Cooper's cans as the extract in some partial mash beers, like a dark hybrid lager that many liked. So I'd say partial mash would be a fine next step. I started PM with the same 5 gallon (20qt) SS stock pot I started with by adding a 5 gallon nylon bag for the grains. A smaller 2-2.5 gallon SS pot for the dunk sparge which works great & is easy.:mug:

I like this idea. I've brewed three five gallon batches of extract beer (with some steeped grains) and I'd like to ease into mashing my own grain in a way where I can still work on my stovetop (and preferably with equipment I already have.)

I've been brewing with a 6 gallon pot, but my next largest size is probably only 2 or 2.5 gallons. That's obviously not going to be large enough to sparge an all-grain recipe, but if I move to partial mash, about how many pounds of grain do you think it'd be reasonable for me to work with?

Go directly to all grain. Skip the other ways and brew the way it's supposed to be done. You'll learn more, and be able to experiment. Sell all ur extracts and upgrade equipment, it's worth it

I only have a 15 L pot and regularly BIAB up to 3.5 kg grain. I usually use this with one can of LME and top up to dilute in fermenter. Works very well. Need to look into getting a bigger pot though.

Go directly to all grain. Skip the other ways and brew the way it's supposed to be done. You'll learn more, and be able to experiment. Sell all ur extracts and upgrade equipment, it's worth it

I cannot afford to do that at the moment.

I bet you could, don't buy and build yourself.... If your serious about it I highly suggest

Latest posts

Back