Next Equipment: Birthday and Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
Ok so I have a birthday coming up (and of course Christmas) and I'm definitely wanting brew stuffs. I don't know what should be my priority though.
I have more infected batches than The average brewer (drinkable, but obviously not what I'm going for -likely just Brett). So I'm strongly considering the Catalyst Fermenter:
https://craftabrew.com/products/the-catalyst-fermentation-system
BUT maybe I should use my birthday request for something else? I suppose I could just get REALLY anal about sanitation (it's not like I'm carefree about it currently though) and ask for a couple of glass carboys.
Keep in mind I'm a cheap ass, and my family doesn't go balls to the wall on Christmas/birthdays either.
Chilling is a big issue for me. Most times I have to wait til 11 pm to pitch yeast.I'm doing 10 gal batches now and only have a copper coil rated for 5 gal. Thinking about asking for a counter flow chiller and pump? (chill faster and I wouldn't have to dump 10 gal by hand).

Brew days are a lot of work for me, and at the end of them sometimes I consider quitting homebrew... lots of room for improvement here on the equipment side.

Perhaps upgrade the IC to a Jaded Hydra?

I love mine. I still use my old IC as part of a recirculation system. I have a large cooler with ice water and my old IC is in here connected to an old pond pump. Once the wort temps gets close to 100 I hook this up to my Hydra.

I also highly recommend the hydra. This well designed piece of equipment has had a huge impact on reducing the time to cool my wort by simply raising and lowering it until the input temp feels the same as the output temp. It's amazingly simple but extremely effective.

Latest posts

Back