Next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
So I have brewed my 1st batch using a coopers starter kit with an Australian pale ale and dry hopped the 3rd week. Fermented 3 weeks then bottled 10 days ago. I had a sneak taste tonight after putting a bottle in the fridge a couple of days ago and there it is - tht! I hope the taste improves.
So I thought I'd try another brew, this time Young's APA.
The difference is the coopers kit came with carbonation drops so I bottled straight from the fermenting vessel using the bottling wand.
The APA kit comes with priming sugar so should I get a bottling bucket and conscious of oxyginating, can I attach a syphone tube to the tap of the fermenting vessel and transfer that way?
I don't really want to have to get the bottling bucket but the other option is to chuck the priming sugar away that came with the kit and buy some more coopers carbonation drops.
Any advice greatly appreciated

You could portion out the priming sugar for each bottle. I'm sure theres a calculation for that or just buy more drops . If you want to get the botteling bucket you can attach a hose to the spigot of the fermenter . I would suggest drilling a hole in the bottle bucket lid to purge with co2 and as a port for the transfer hose . Make sure the hose is long enough to lay at the bottom so there is no splashing. Just push a tiny bit of co2 through the airlock hole on your fermenter as you transfer . If you dont have a co2 bottle then your gonna just have to crack the lid and hope it doesnt get oxygenated.

What does your bottled beer taste like ?

You could portion out the priming sugar for each bottle. I'm sure theres a calculation for that or just buy more drops . If you want to get the botteling bucket you can attach a hose to the spigot of the fermenter . I would suggest drilling a hole in the bottle bucket lid to purge with co2 and as a port for the transfer hose . Make sure the hose is long enough to lay at the bottom so there is no splashing. Just push a tiny bit of co2 through the airlock hole on your fermenter as you transfer . If you dont have a co2 bottle then your gonna just have to crack the lid and hope it doesnt get oxygenated.

What does your bottled beer taste like ?
thanks for the tip. the bottled beer has that typical home brew taste! yeasty and not that pleasant.

Your welcome. You must be transferring yeast to the bottles. My first batch was like that . You can try getting them really cold in the fridge or freezer to get it to drop. Pour into a glass except for the last bit on the bottom which has the yeast film. Look into a fast fermenter . Easy to dump trub and you can bottle from it without having a yeast and trub cake interfering.

Last edited:
Along with the yeast possibly being in the bottle you may just be more attuned to the flavor of malt extract.

Three weeks in the fermenter should have allowed the yeast to settle significantly. You could cold crash the fermenter next time before bottling if possible. Allow the bottles to sit in the fridge longer to promote settling.

I would do the bottling bucket filled as described in the earlier post. Batch prime in the bottling bucket. If you decide not to get one, priming each bottle works. Use the drops or portion out the provided priming sugar. You could also dissolve it in boiled water and measure the appropriate amount in each bottle as well. I find the liquid formulation easier to measure when I bottle. I get more uniform carbonation that way.

The taste will likely improve with time in the cold. Yeast will settle, flavors will meld, taste will smooth out.

I too am sensitive to the extract "twang" that gives that Homebrew taste. I am able to taste in in most but not all extract beers. I get it more with liquid extract than I do with dry.

Back