Next beer suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmoran903

Reaction score
So, it's getting close to bottling time for my first brew! From taste tests so far, it seems the Brewer's Best Arrogant Bastard kit is going to deliver.

After we (SWMBO and I) bottle, we're going to get the next batch going. For sake of ease and convenience, we'll probably stick with another kit.

Here's where we're not sure which direction to head: I like big, bold IIPA's and she doesn't. Fair enough, I can stomach just about any beer.

SWMBO is requesting (read: ordering) we create some sort of vanilla porter or double chocolate stout (funny how MY Christmas gift works out...). Any suggestions? Could we just get an Irish Stout kit and 'throw' in some cocoa?

Thanks in advance.

I just finished my first vanilla porter. What I did was purchase 2 whole vanilla beans, slice them open lengthwise and soak them in vodka for 1 day, this kills off any contaminants. Then throw the whole thing in a secondary fermenter. In 2 weeks I have a very distinct vanilla flavor. As far as cocoa, you can do the same thing using cocoa nibs (you can find them at your LHBS).

I just finished my first vanilla porter. What I did was purchase 2 whole vanilla beans, slice them open lengthwise and soak them in vodka for 1 day, this kills off any contaminants. Then throw the whole thing in a secondary fermenter. In 2 weeks I have a very distinct vanilla flavor. As far as cocoa, you can do the same thing using cocoa nibs (you can find them at your LHBS).

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hmm I just did a big DIPA sunday! Shaping up nice. My wife is not a fan of IPA's either but this one she may like. It's in the vain of Knuckle Sandwich. Good luck with your stout!

Latest posts

Back