Newbie To Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acampane

Reaction score
What's going on fellas and Ladies, so i have a few beginner questions. I used to brew awhile back always bottles...I decided to get back into it but want to keg. I have a refrigerator i am going to be using and a basic 1 tap system. 1 tap, CO2 bottle, lines and adapter to domestic beer....im still working on getting a corny keg but will soon so i'll get those adapters. I'm going to starting working on the refrigerator next weekend. A few basic questions, is there a preferred temperature to set the fridge at? also, i see guy with the CO2 tanks inside and outside the fridge....any preference? Thats it for now, im sure ill have more as i go, i look forward to learning this process.

Acampane said:
What's going on fellas and Ladies, so i have a few beginner questions. I used to brew awhile back always bottles...I decided to get back into it but want to keg. I have a refrigerator i am going to be using and a basic 1 tap system. 1 tap, CO2 bottle, lines and adapter to domestic beer....im still working on getting a corny keg but will soon so i'll get those adapters. I'm going to starting working on the refrigerator next weekend. A few basic questions, is there a preferred temperature to set the fridge at? also, i see guy with the CO2 tanks inside and outside the fridge....any preference? Thats it for now, im sure ill have more as i go, i look forward to learning this process.
i set mine to what I prefer, cold about 34ish. As far as I know their is no advantage to having co2 in or out of fridge, do it for what is more convenient for you. I have mine on the inside.

Thanks for the advice...also nice rig, i have a 4dr sahara. starating my build next weekend i think if i have room inside ill just do that, instead of making another hole in the fridge.

My understanding is you will consume more CO2 if it is cold
Tmk, it doesn't really work that way. The temperature of the CO2 makes no difference. The beer temperature is directly related to the carb level (volumes) that can be achieved at a given psi. In other words, at a fixed psi, reducing the beer temperature will allow more CO2 to be absorbed.

You set your fridge to whatever temp you prefer your beer to be at. A common beer temperature is ~38-40F for most styles - some like it colder, some like it warmer. The colder it is, the more it will "hide" the characteristics; and vice-versa for warmer. I think 38-40F is a nice compromise (assuming you can dial-in that temperature).

Outside the fridge might give you more room for another keg, if not then there's no huge benefit. Sometimes you can keep a cleaner looking system by hiding the co2 tank inside. It's all preference. And, like the poster above said, there's no difference in co2 use between it inside or outside the fridge. On second thought, sometimes regulators will read a little wonky if they're cold versus warm. I have mine inside, FWIW.

Thanks for the replies fellas I'll post some pics when I start the modifications. Final thing I need are the corney kegs. They seem to be sparce on the old craigslist I'll keep searching.

Latest posts

Back