Newbie sour question - is it done??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
I've got my sour first in a carboy for 7 months. It has a wonderful pellicle on it as well. I finally decided to take a sample tonight and it actually tastes great!! ...my question is....does the pellicle ever drop like s typical sacch krausen? Or just it just hang out, and you siphon off from underneath it to bottle?

Also - does everyone typically bottle carb their sours, or does anyone force carb if the beer is at a profile they want, to prevent it from changing much more while bottle carb'ing??

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Cheers,

I've never had a pellicle fall on its own, might lose some when I disturb the beer though. I rack the beer from underneath the pellicle. I have both forced carbed and bottle carbed sours, you can do whatever you want, both will work. I prefer to bottle carb as I generally drink my sours slowly so don't like to tie up a tap and keg and I enjoy the slow changes in the bottle over time.

Ok thanks for the help! I intended to force carb and still bottle, so I don't tie up a keg as well

That's a good option to minimize flavor profile changes in the bottle.

Back