Newbie problem: uneven water levels in two-piece airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol_Om_On

Reaction score
I just commenced my first attempt at brewing, a scandinavian christmas drink called "glögg". Many difficulties arouse, but the only thing that is still vexing me is the airlock. I filled it up to a desirable level but when I inserted it into the glass carboy the levela shifted so the outer became higher (pic 1), then when I moved it it became even worse (pic 2). Is this natural or a problem? I tried both first inserting the waterlock and then filling, and first filling it then inserting it; made no difference.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412520766.591011.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412520830.652190.jpg

It's the pressure differential between the off-gassing fermenting wort and the atmospheric pressure. It's a good thing. But I'm curious. Your airlock doesn't have a cap. Did it come like that or is it missing? I would worry about the float getting pushed out by a vigorous fermentation.

Glögg, glögi, glühwein, vin chaud, etc. It's popular all across Europe, not just Scandinavia.

The english word is "mulled wine". It's typically not fermented as a whole, rather red wine or vodka, along with hot water is added to the concentrated spice mix.

This is how it's sold in Finland (the concentrate). The one on the left just came out last year, blueberry flavor.

marli-glogit-tiivisteet.jpg

So, just curious about your recipe...

Thanks, good to hear it's a good thing :) The airlocks are from my grandfather as well, we shall see what happens when the fermentationa really kicks.

I didn't think mulled wine and glögg was the same thing but now I believe you're right. The recipe I'm using is from a swedish brewing forum, it's not made from wine but from "svagdricka" (don't know how to translate that one) and a pretty low-alcoholic porter, along with raisins, sugar and christmas-y herbs.

I would put some loose fitting foil over the airlock to make sure it doesn't pop out. When fermentation gets going, it's gonna be bobbing up and down pretty hard and a piece of foil would be an easy preventative measure.

The recipe I'm using is from a swedish brewing forum, it's not made from wine but from "svagdricka" (don't know how to translate that one) and a pretty low-alcoholic porter, along with raisins, sugar and christmas-y herbs.

Svagdricka is "kvass" (kotikalja in Finnish). It's a very low ABV beer (as in less than 2%) made from rye bread. They have it on offer at corporate lunch cafeterias around the country here.

This stuff is on the same level as Sima, i.e. you can give it to your kids.

Podz - we share many things across the baltic sea :)

BlueHouseBrewhouse - ...and/or Sweden :)

Btw, in Sweden svagdricka is mostly a Christmas thing, like "julmust" (which is non-alcoholic). I've never seen it in cafeterias, they unfortunately only sell low ABV beer ("lättöl") if anything.

Back