Newbie looking for input on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHcableguy

Reaction score
Complete AG newbie here looking for input on this recipe. I was looking for a Jalapeno Pineapple beer recipe and could not find anything. Maybe it is a bad combo but its something I wanted to try. I have decided to nix the idea of using pineapple but think I can achieve the flavor with hops. I do not want a big hoppy beer but i do want the pineapple flavoring. Using Beersmith2 here is what I came up with for a 5 gallon recipe.

12lbs Pale Malt 2 row
1lb Crystal Malt 20L
1lb Cara Pils
8oz Caravienne Malt

.5oz Citra 60min and 30min
.5oz Chinook 60min and 30min

1oz Citra Dry Hop
1oz Chinook Dry Hop

American Ale yeast Blend WLP060

15 grams roasted jalapeno in secondary

OG 1.075
IBU's 63.6
SRM 7.7
Est ABV 8.2%

If you want to go big on the citrus flavors consider Mosaic hops as a dry hop instead of Chinook and Citra.

Agreed, also may consider Ivanhoe or Nelson to supplement Citra as dry hop.
For malt bill you want an impression of sweetness without a thick body so maybe remove the carapils. That's already a ton of cara malts.
I have no experience with jalapeño in beer.

Two things:
I've done a beer with NM green chile, and tossed the whole, roasted, peeled chile in the boil at 10 minutes. It gives more flavor than heat, which I prefer. But, if you want the heat as well, putting the jalapenos into secondary should be fine.

Second, if you're not afraid of the funk, Brett. C. (WLP645) has an aroma that has been described as "spiced pineapple." You could try that in the secondary, too.

I brewed a Pineapple Pale. I put the fruit of a whole pineapple the last 10 minutes of the boil and added 1 dram of pineapple extract at bottling. I used 2 ounces of Citra the last 5 minutes of the boil.
6 lbs of 2 row
1 lbs flaked corn (sweet aroma)
1/2 lbs 20L caramel malt
It was tart and refreshing. I don't have any experience with peppers in my beer.

I brewed a Pineapple Pale. I put the fruit of a whole pineapple the last 10 minutes of the boil and added 1 dram of pineapple extract at bottling. I used 2 ounces of Citra the last 5 minutes of the boil.
6 lbs of 2 row
1 lbs flaked corn (sweet aroma)
1/2 lbs 20L caramel malt
It was tart and refreshing. I don't have any experience with peppers in my beer.

Was that beer very acidic with all of that pineapple in there?

I don't have a PH meter for the mash PH but it finished at 1.008 so it had good conversion. It was tart but not overly sour.

Back