Newbie looking for direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
Hello All ~
Just racked my first red ale, with a pale ale waiting for the same this weekend. I wanted to try and duplicate my favorite summer ale; Shipyard Summer Ale from Portland Maine. I figured start now and tweak as the months approach. Here are characteristics off their web site. Can anyone give me the details of amounts and when grains go in etc based on your experiences.... I am looking for a extract version as I am just starting. Thanks!!

Malt
2-row British pale ale
Munich
Malted Wheat

Hops
Hallertau

Yeast
Top fermenting English

OG

Character
mellow malted wheat flavor with less hoppy characteristics

Sláinte!!

:mug:

I don't really know this beer, but here is where I would start:

For 5 gallons
3 lbs extra-light or light DME (British variety if you can find it)
3 lbs wheat DME (most wheat extracts are approximately 50% wheat, 50% 2-row)

Hops
1oz hallertau for 60min
0.5 oz hallertau for 15min

Yeast
English yeast like wlp002

You could also try steeping some Munich malt (maybe 0.5 lbs?), though I don't really know if this will work very well since normally Munich malt would be mashed.

You might also try emailing the brewery to see if they can give you any insights to their hopping schedule. As it stands, I'm just guessing at something that would give you a nice American wheat style beer. A lot of breweries are very helpful.

Austin Homebrew Supply sells Munich liquid malt extract that is 60% 2-row & 40% Munich malt, so there's a start. next would be wheat extract, again AHS. so, it's all extract, don't need grains at all

maybe 3 to 1 ratio? not familiar with the beer, but that gets it to 1.052 and a good color

without IBU info, can't really give much advice on how much hops to use, but "less hoppy characteristics" sounds like 1 or 2 additions for bitterness and/or flavor. (JLem seems to agree, go with his hop schedule)

yeast, WL & Wyeast both have numerous English styles, take your pick (again, I would agree with JLem, WLP002 is a good pick)

welcome to the obsession!

Austin Homebrew Supply sells Munich liquid malt extract that is 60% 2-row & 40% Munich malt, so there's a start. next would be wheat extract, again AHS. so, it's all extract, don't need grains at all

maybe 3 to 1 ratio? not familiar with the beer, but that gets it to 1.052 and a good color

without IBU info, can't really give much advice on how much hops to use, but "less hoppy characteristics" sounds like 1 or 2 additions for bitterness and/or flavor. (JLem seems to agree, go with his hop schedule)

yeast, WL & Wyeast both have numerous English styles, take your pick (again, I would agree with JLem, WLP002 is a good pick)

welcome to the obsession!

GOod point about the Munich extract...hadn't thought of that. The one thing I would be concerned with here is that I imagine the amount of Munich in the beer is realtively small. Maybe only 10%? So, if you want to use the Munich extract, I might go with only 1-2 pounds of the Munich extract (subbed equally for the light DME). I probably wouldn't sub all the Light DME for Munich.

And given the Munich extract is liquid...you'll need more of it than the DME...1 pound of DME = approximately 1.25 pounds of LME

^ getting ready to try all the above thoughts. Would either of you suggest specialty grains too? or in place of??
Happy Easter!

triplehops said:
^ getting ready to try all the above thoughts. Would either of you suggest specialty grains too? or in place of??
Happy Easter!

Not if you want to make the shipyard version. The ingredients do not include anything other than pale, wheat and Munich malts.

If you want to make something different, you could throw in 0.5-1.0 lbs of some light crystal malt.

Back