Newbie Here!! - First Brew - Bock Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.... we are bottling on Tuesday night... :ban: That will be the 15th day after the initial brew day... Can you guys give me some tips? i have been reading about bottling for a couple of days now... Just read a thread about sanitizing bottles & the caps... Thinking I definitely sanitizing my bottle caps. You guys have seen my beer bottles I am collecting... Still drinking & still collecting ;) i do not have a rack to rack them... They are sitting in milk crates.. I have them sitting in water in the sink to help remove the labels from them... when i have my tasting party, I don't want the brewery of somewhere else on my bottles ;) Is there a link to a thread for the steps of bottling process? Any tips? :)

Peace. Love. & Beer!
:mug: CHEERS!! :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

The above link was the method I used when I was bottling. I made a dip tube from the curved part of a clear plastic racking cane and stuck it into the stopper that was originally for the airlock in the lid of the bucket. Then inserted the stopper into the spout from the inside - worked great.

To remove labels from bottles and clean them, I soak them in a solution of OxiClean or PBW. OxiClean is cheaper but seems to leave a white film on the inside of the bottles sometimes, whereas PBW doesn't (at least with my tap water). A vinegar rinse should remove the film. After cleaning and rinsing the bottles thoroughly (I rinse with a jet bottle sprayer which connects to a adapter screwed into my faucet), I hang them on my bottling tree to dry overnight. On bottling day I sanitize using a Vinator pump with StarSan and again hang them on the bottling tree. I sanitize a few bottles, then let them drip a bit while I fill a few bottles, then sanitize a few more and fill the ones I had previously sanitized, etc. This way the bottles are still wet with StarSan when I fill them, so still sanitized.

The first thing I would do is move my carboy up onto a table to give it time for any disturbed trub to settle out before racking to the bottle bucket. Then I would boil a couple of cups of distilled water and dissolve my priming sugar into it, then cover and let it cool while I sanitized everything.

To sanitize, I mix up a gallon of StarSan (use distilled or RO water so it will not turn cloudy and become ineffective quickly). I keep the StarSan in a 1 gallon glass jug and put some into a spray bottle. Also I mix up a couple of gallons of Iodophor in 1 gallon water jugs. One gallon of Iodophor goes into a large shallow plastic tray I use to sanitize my gear - I like this better than a bucket because I can completely submerse my autosiphon in the tray. Into the tray I put all small parts to be sanitized - autosiphon, bottling wand bucket spout, dip tube and stopper, siphon hose, the short piece of tubing that I use to connect my bottling wand to the spout (as in the link above), etc. I pour some Iodophor or StarSan into the bucket and swish it around to sanitize the bucket, then put the spout onto the bucket and the dip tube and stopper into the spout. Assemble the siphoning tube onto the autosiphon. Then pour the extra gallon of Iodophor into the bucket, swish it around, and run some out through the spout. Then I use the autosiphon to pump some of this out of the bucket and down the drain just to make sure the autosiphon is thoroughly sanitized. Put the autosiphon/tube assembly back in the tray of sanitizer, invert the bucket to drain, and be SURE the spout is closed (don't ask me why I emphasize this). I like to cover the spout with some sanitized plastic wrap secured with a rubber band.

So now, put the bucket on the floor with the carboy on the table just above it. Pour your cooled priming solution into the bucket (gently, so as not to aerate it). Put the autosiphon into the carboy (make sure the little black cap is on the tip of the autosiphon) and the end of the siphon tube down in the bottom of the bucket. Hold the bottom of the autosiphon about midway in the carboy and pump it to start the siphon. As the liquid drains from the carboy, lower the autosiphon to follow it. Watch the beer in the siphon tube - you can see when you begin sucking up yeast as the beer in the tube will turn cloudy. When this happens, stop siphoning by just raising the bottom of the autosiphon out of the beer. Remove the autosiphon from the carboy - it is a good idea to have an empty bucket ready to drop it into to avoid dripping all over the floor. At this point I always used a long sanitized spoon to give the beer in the bucket a very gentle stir - just a couple of stirs, but be careful not to aerate the beer - you just want to make sure the priming sugar is well mixed. I'm sure a lot of people don't do this for fear of oxidizing the beer, but I always do.

Now loosely cover the bucket with the sanitized lid and lift it up onto the table, or onto an overturned bucket or kettle on the table per the link above. Attach the bottling wand to the spout with the short piece of tubing (use hose clamps if needed, but I never needed them), spray the wand with StarSan and open the spout on the bucket - the plunger at the end of the wand should prevent leaking. You should have your caps in a bowl of sanitizer. Sanitize a few bottles (Vinator or just dunk into sanitizer and drain) and commence filling. I like to fill all the bottles and place the sanitized cap loosely on top and cap them all later. But if there are two people, one can bottle while the other caps.

Good luck. It's really pretty simple once you get started.

Still drinking different beers to gather those bottles.... :mug:
Actually I think now, we are just in it to taste it!! :ban:
I think we had enough bottles 20 or so something back... ;) But I think because we love :mug: BEER :mug: so incredibly much, :rockin: we make the excuse that we need more bottles so we make the trip to get a couple of different six packs to try like seriously, every night... :)

I actually tried one -- Flying Dog.. Seriously think the pup loved it way too much! :)

IMG_7980.jpg

The second I tried - or had again, which lots of you need to check out - a local brewery - Ft. Worth, Texas - Rahr & Sons - Buffalo Butt - YUM-O!! :cross:

Second bit of news in our lives - we purchased us a VDubb!! Whoot! Whoot!!

IMG_7983.jpg

We absolutely love it!! i had one back in 2004 - a 2000 model - but this is a 2012 & so new!! Yay!! :tank:

Hope everyone had a FANTABULOUS WEEKEND!! :mug:
I know we did!!

Peace. Love. & Beer!

PS - We are now bottling Wednesday. Had to push it back a day to daily life circumstances...

Speaking of controlling the temps, I live near Sacramento. Our temps are starting to get into the low to mid 90s, and will be in the high 90s to 100 F outdoors. We have A/C, but the house temp is not all that cool.
If I start say an Irish red ale, or a pale ale, the target temp is 60-70. I probably don't have that anywhere in the house. Should I wait till Fall for cooler temps, or any ideas for how to proceed?

Is that why they call it Oktoberfest? LOL.

Speaking of controlling the temps, I live near Sacramento. Our temps are starting to get into the low to mid 90s, and will be in the high 90s to 100 F outdoors. We have A/C, but the house temp is not all that cool.
If I start say an Irish red ale, or a pale ale, the target temp is 60-70. I probably don't have that anywhere in the house. Should I wait till Fall for cooler temps, or any ideas for how to proceed?

Is that why they call it Oktoberfest? LOL.

Why don't you look into doing a Saison brew? :ban: It can be brewed in warmer temps. i am a newbie around here... I think there are better people who would be able to give you more info. about Saisons.. However, for a Saison beer, it's for fermenting in warmer temps, & it would be good to start there since it is so warm... I am in Texas & the temps are astronomical!! :eek:

Good Luck!!
Peace. Love. & Beer!
:mug: CHEERS! :mug:

Yo! Yo!! Yo!!!
:mug:

Well, the bottling is going down tonight!! Whoot! Whoot!! I am ready! The hubby is ready! The Bock is ready! Last bit of bottles are in the dishwasher cleaning. Gonna run & get a big tub to sanitize the bottles before siphoning the beer.

Got a couple of questions before tonight though.... :confused: Let's see if you guys can help me out!

1) I have run all of my bottles through the dishwasher to just clean them - basically to prevent the black mold at the bottle of the bottles after the beer sets... :cross: Would be the best way to sanitize my bottles is to place all of them in a big tote & use my Iphodor & water to dump the bottles in & when I am ready to bottle pull one out, fill with liquid & cap with a sanitize cap, right? Right Page?

2) Could I use my dishwasher to place the bottles upside down (a rack) after sanitizing them so that I could just pull a bottle off of a rod in the dishwasher drawer...? Possible?

3) Sanitize caps - Place over bottles after being filled - Should I go ahead & clasp the bottle cap for each beer or place caps on all beers & come back to clasp - Honestly, I feel like clasping them as we fill might be a little easier... Thoughts?

4) House sits between about 77 & 80 degrees during the day - FREAKING TEXAS!! - is that cool to let the bottles carb, or should I go cooler? I wanna go about 3 weeks before I initially try one... Good Idea? :confused: Bad Idea? :confused:

Have a FANTABULOUS Tuesday!!

I would proceed with the brew. Assume that you have an ale yeast. Follow the instructions with your kit. If you see no activity in your airlock within the first 48 hrs. Go get a packet of ale yeast (nottingham is a good all around yeast), hydrate it, then CAREFULLY open your fermenter and pitch the yeast. If the yeast never took in the first place, that means that it didn't multiply in the brew...no harm no foul. Trial and error is a great way to better understand how to brew!

I would proceed with the brew. Assume that you have an ale yeast. Follow the instructions with your kit. If you see no activity in your airlock within the first 48 hrs. Go get a packet of ale yeast (nottingham is a good all around yeast), hydrate it, then CAREFULLY open your fermenter and pitch the yeast. If the yeast never took in the first place, that means that it didn't multiply in the brew...no harm no foul. Trial and error is a great way to better understand how to brew!

Um, what? :confused: I have already brewed my beer... I am bottling it tonight... What are you referring to here? :confused:

:confused:

Yo! Yo!! Yo!!!
:mug:

Well, the bottling is going down tonight!! Whoot! Whoot!! I am ready! The hubby is ready! The Bock is ready! Last bit of bottles are in the dishwasher cleaning. Gonna run & get a big tub to sanitize the bottles before siphoning the beer.

Got a couple of questions before tonight though.... :confused: Let's see if you guys can help me out!

1) I have run all of my bottles through the dishwasher to just clean them - basically to prevent the black mold at the bottle of the bottles after the beer sets... :cross: Would be the best way to sanitize my bottles is to place all of them in a big tote & use my Iphodor & water to dump the bottles in & when I am ready to bottle pull one out, fill with liquid & cap with a sanitize cap, right? Right Page?

2) Could I use my dishwasher to place the bottles upside down (a rack) after sanitizing them so that I could just pull a bottle off of a rod in the dishwasher drawer...? Possible?

3) Sanitize caps - Place over bottles after being filled - Should I go ahead & clasp the bottle cap for each beer or place caps on all beers & come back to clasp - Honestly, I feel like clasping them as we fill might be a little easier... Thoughts?

4) House sits between about 77 & 80 degrees during the day - FREAKING TEXAS!! - is that cool to let the bottles carb, or should I go cooler? I wanna go about 3 weeks before I initially try one... Good Idea? :confused: Bad Idea? :confused:

Have a FANTABULOUS Tuesday!!

1 & 2) Just soak them in iodophor, drain (you can do it on the dishwasher racks) and fill.

3) I fill, cap, repeat most of the time so every bottle gets sealed ASAP. But when I bottle alone, I fill 6-12 bottles an place the cap on, then come back and seal.

4) Yes, try to find the coolest place to store them in the house while they're carbing. But ~77-80 isn't bad. I have a few batches sitting at ~80 up in my bedroom, no worries. I spoke with a brewer at Grand Teton and she said that they use a 'warm room' (about ~82 degrees) to bottle condition their beer.

I personally think that sanitizing your bottle caps might be a bit of overkill, but it also wouldn't hurt anything.

If you're going to use your dishwasher to clean your bottles, make sure they cool before you bottle!

I put my bottles upside down on the dishwasher rack after sanitizing. I place the sanitized caps on each bottle after I fill them, but I don't crimp any caps until all 50+ bottles are filled. I have a bench-top capper, and it only takes a couple minutes to crimp them all. Your bottles should be fine anywhere betwen 70-85F...

I personally think that sanitizing your bottle caps might be a bit of overkill, but it also wouldn't hurt anything.

If you're going to use your dishwasher to clean your bottles, make sure they cool before you bottle!

I have used my dishwasher for ONLY cleaning the bottles. I haven't sanitized any bottles yet. I am not really sure if I should just put all of the bottles in the dishwasher & use the IDOPHOR..? :confused: Haven't done this process yet.

Is it easier to sanitize the bottles in the dishwasher - with or without the dry heat on - with my IDOPHOR? Or should I just fill a tote tub with water & IDOPHOR, dip them, rack them (on the dishwasher racks) & bottle them individual from each rack off the dishwasher? :confused:

I put my bottles upside down on the dishwasher rack after sanitizing. I place the sanitized caps on each bottle after I fill them, but I don't crimp any caps until all 50+ bottles are filled. I have a bench-top capper, and it only takes a couple minutes to crimp them all. Your bottles should be fine anywhere betwen 70-85F...

Perfect!! :ban:
Thank You!! :mug:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I gotta find my BOTTLE CAPS!! Cleaning & getting things ready today!!

I lay my dog gate (or kid gate) across 2 saw horses and use it as a bottle drying rack. Flush the bottles with StarSan then place them top down through the little opeings in the gate to dry.

helibrewer said:
I lay my dog gate (or kid gate) across 2 saw horses and use it as a bottle drying rack. Flush the bottles with StarSan then place them top down through the little opeings in the gate to dry.

That's a good idea... I don't have a doggie gate... But I like your way of bottling... Thanks for the tip!!

I personally use StarSan and I fill the bottles then drain the StarSan back into the container I use, then fill them with beer before they dry. Once StarSan dries it is no longer sanitzing anything. Never once had any off flavors from it and have heard that StarSan actually breaks down and acts like a yeast nutrient, helping our little buddies carb up the bottles.

I personally use StarSan and I fill the bottles then drain the StarSan back into the container I use, then fill them with beer before they dry. Once StarSan dries it is no longer sanitzing anything. Never once had any off flavors from it and have heard that StarSan actually breaks down and acts like a yeast nutrient, helping our little buddies carb up the bottles.

Okay... Well, I have the IDOPHOR that I got in my kit from the LHBS... I figure, though, that you can use it just about the same way? I bought a huge tub today to put all of the bottle in with my sanitizer & water...

IMG_8014.jpg

...... But somehow.... Every time I come home with something 3-Dimensional, this darn cat determines that it is his new territory & takes over everything!

IMG_8018.jpg

Bottles are clean & the process begins tonight! Hopefully the hubby brings home a nice tasting beverage to accompany this process!! ;)
... And don't worry, my bucket will be sanitized with bottles without mishaps from the Kit-Kat ;)

... And I think after bottling, I think this is where we are gonna store the bottles until they have finished carbing... :rockin:

It is Time, Folks. :ban: It is Time. :ban:

Here's to a Good Night!!

That tub will work fine for your sanitizer, but for future bottling you might want to look into getting yourself a Vinator. They make sanitizing bottles so fast and easy that it's worth owning one!
71QUpqlHEZS__AA1500_.jpg

Stauffbier said:
That tub will work fine for your sanitizer, but for future bottling you might want to look into getting yourself a Vinator. They make sanitizing bottles so fast and easy that it's worth owning one!

I just got one for the last bottling session, I used to use a bucket. Get a Vinator, you won't regret it. I figure it helped me cut at least 20 minutes off my bottling process.

:rockin: HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!! :rockin:

We used today to Celebrate the Country's Birthday by Bottling our First Bock Beer!! :ban: Finally! :ban: Totally, guys! It was kind of a chore... Makes me totally want to go out & buy that keg!! :rockin:

Okay... So, here is the update!!

Our First Bock Beer (made with the Munton's Bock Kit) in a temperature controlled fridge... Temps controlled between about 64 to 67 degrees. :D

IMG_8022.jpg

..... I think she is ready!! :ban:

We sanitized the hell out of everything! Buckets, Tools, Hoses, Caps, Bottles, Lids, everything!

IMG_8026.jpg

& we totally used the dishwasher to rack the bottles before bottling them...

IMG_8030.jpg

We started our priming sugar solution to boil.. & it did...

IMG_8024.jpg

After the sugar solution was done, we dumped it into the bottom of the bucket before adding the beef mixture...

We siphoned the beer from the carboy (leaving the sludge at the end of the carboy since we didn't use it as the secondary - and only the primary...

IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8028.jpg

We put the bucket onto the counter and attached (we had to cut a little piece of tubing off) & attached the bottling cane. We filled out first bottle...

IMG_8032.jpg

IMG_8034-Copy.jpg

Crimping those bottle caps... The hubby now definitely wants the keg!! :D

IMG_8036.jpg

.... And we had our first bottle of beer! :mug:

IMG_8031.jpg

We now have the beers stored in my purple bucket in our bedroom - it's dark in the bucket & our bedroom is probably the darkest room in the house... It sits between 77 & 81 degrees in here...

Now, it's time for a grill-out, twice baked potatoes & some beans & bacon! :tank: & of course some brewskies! :tank:

Happy 4th to Everyone!!
GO AMERICA!! :rockin:

Peace. Love. & Beer!

Hey! Congrats! Now get that second batch going. :tank:

Just saw your pic of the new V-dub, not too shabby at all! I just blew the motor on my car and am in the process of shopping for something not American made, checked out a few Passat's but I'm leaning towards a 5 series BMW. Much more tunable platform and I'm usually one to mod my cars a bit.

Happy 4th! :mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Hey! Congrats! Now get that second batch going. :tank:

Just saw your pic of the new V-dub, not too shabby at all! I just blew the motor on my car and am in the process of shopping for something not American made, checked out a few Passat's but I'm leaning towards a 5 series BMW. Much more tunable platform and I'm usually one to mod my cars a bit.

Happy 4th! :mug:

Thanks, dude!!
Totally excited!! :D

Yeah... We had a Ford Fusion... Bought it in November... Hated it. It had been in a wreck.. Dealership neglected that fact.. Love it!! Yeah, BMWs are nice! Some of them are sweet!! I do not want an American car again... I love the VW! I really want like a '68 - '75 - '79 VW Bug & re-do it!! I would make it sweet!! & it would be my summer car!! Ha.

Thanks, dude!!
Totally excited!! :D

Yeah... We had a Ford Fusion... Bought it in November... Hated it. It had been in a wreck.. Dealership neglected that fact.. Love it!! Yeah, BMWs are nice! Some of them are sweet!! I do not want an American car again... I love the VW! I really want like a '68 - '75 - '79 VW Bug & re-do it!! I would make it sweet!! & it would be my summer car!! Ha.

Sweet. VW's are fun. My neighbor has a not so new New Beetle (97) that we're doing a bit of work to. Fun little car. There's some great American cars, but with my wife and two boys, we need something that can take a beating and is still fun for me. I think German made is the way to go. I'm keeping my old car with the blown motor, it's a '99 Grand Prix GT with a lot of mods. When I can afford to, I'll get a new motor and switch the mods over. :tank:

We used today to Celebrate the Country's Birthday by Bottling our First Bock Beer!! :ban: Finally! :ban: Totally, guys! It was kind of a chore... Makes me totally want to go out & buy that keg!!

Congratulations!

Yeah, bottling is a bit of a chore, but if you start kegging, don't throw away all your bottles - you'll probably still want to bottle from the keg occasionally. In fact I filled some bottles Monday from my keg to take to a 4th of July party.

Congratulations!

Yeah, bottling is a bit of a chore, but if you start kegging, don't throw away all your bottles - you'll probably still want to bottle from the keg occasionally. In fact I filled some bottles Monday from my keg to take to a 4th of July party.

Ha! We will keep all bottles.... We even had bottles left over... Even the hubby said that we were gonna keep bottles & need more bottles... So, we did just that!! Got us some Moosehead Lagers - green bottles, but eh, I think I will keep them.. My purple container is dark & with the lid on, it's even darker... Pilsner 100 Centenario - pretty good & some... ShockTop - White Wheat! That **** is delish!! :mug:

Sassy, great job on getting your first batch all bottled up. It will get faster and easier everytime you do it from here out. I have two recommendations for you..

1) I noticed some beer got left behind in your fermenter. I'd say about 3 bottles worth of beer. If you slowly tilt the carboy as you rack it to the bottle bucket you can get almost all of it! After all of your toils and troubles making it, getting every last drop of the nectar is ideal! Like everything in this hobby....... practice makes perfect!

2) ** This one I HIGHLY recommend! ** Take a 6 pack of your newly filled bottles and hide it away in a dark, deep place. Forget about that 6 pack for 6 to 8 months, so you can go sample one every now and then. It's a great testament to your first batch, and a great way to compare how you've grown as a brewer after that time!

Cheers, and Happy 4th of July!

Sweet. VW's are fun. My neighbor has a not so new New Beetle (97) that we're doing a bit of work to. Fun little car. There's some great American cars, but with my wife and two boys, we need something that can take a beating and is still fun for me. I think German made is the way to go. I'm keeping my old car with the blown motor, it's a '99 Grand Prix GT with a lot of mods. When I can afford to, I'll get a new motor and switch the mods over. :tank:

I love VWs!! I had a 2000 VW Jetta while i was in college - & seriously, my favorite car of all time!! it was like fire engine red... black leather seats... black tinted windows... monsoon radio system, tweeters... The radio system had a tape palyer & a 6-changer CD... in the trunk... :D But any who! There are some good American cars... I like Chevy.. Had an '01 Chevy Silverado back when I was in high school... Ha. What was your first car? Mine was a '77 Chevy Impala.... Crashed it into a tree 5 months after my 16th birthday, but I loved her. :) The hubby drives a '90 Ford F150.. Stil runs like a champ, but only has like 70,000 miles on it... it's not the family car... :eek:

Stauffbier said:
Sassy, great job on getting your first batch all bottled up. It will get faster and easier everytime you do it from here out. I have two recommendations for you..

1) I noticed some beer got left behind in your fermenter. I'd say about 3 bottles worth of beer. If you slowly tilt the carboy as you rack it to the bottle bucket you can get almost all of it! After all of your toils and troubles making it, getting every last drop of the nectar is ideal! Like everything in this hobby....... practice makes perfect!

2) ** This one I HIGHLY recommend! ** Take a 6 pack of your newly filled bottles and hide it away in a dark, deep place. Forget about that 6 pack for 6 to 8 months, so you can go sample one every now and then. It's a great testament to your first batch, and a great way to compare how you've grown as a brewer after that time!

Cheers, and Happy 4th of July!

Thank You. Thank You. :)
1) We only left that much beer because the hubby was frustrated as it was his first go... & remember? I didn't use the 5-gal bucket for the primary fermenter... It sat in the carboy for the 15 days... I didn't want to get the sludge.. I think we lost about 4 beers...

2)Al Already done! ;) I remember, I think you, saying that earlier... Wanted to save a couple for later. ;) Definitely.

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers!!

Well... Well... Well...

We went with the Belgian Triple... It's cooling... We are waiting to pitch the yeast...

What's up!!?

Peace. Love. & Beer!

Hey! Hey! Hey!
:mug: :mug: :mug:

The hubby & I are still in the bottling stage of the Bock we brewed a couple of weeks ago....
We have, however, had conversations about the tasting party for our friends!

As for now, we have moved to our second brew - a Belgian Triple.
I have a new thread running on the new brew - A Couple of Noobs 2nd Brew - Belgian Triple Nipple under the Beginners Forum.
Check out my second beer & celebrate with a home brew!!

Here's a little peak of what we brewed last night!

IMG_8215.jpg

The smell aroma is amazing & the color looks pretty good, too!!

IMG_8221.jpg

Looking forward to another FUN Adventure of Brewing with our First Belgian using Extracts, Hops, & Grains ;) Underway!!

Peace. Love. & Beer!

UPDATE for the BOCK BEER coming soon!!

Hey!! Hey!! Hey!!
:mug: :mug: :mug:

Well, it's been 2 weeks since the hubby & I bottled our Bock Beer! :mug:
The hubby & I can't take it anymore!! :p We have to try one!! We want the EXPERIENCE!! :D & we want to know how the process works. Can't ever learn if you don't ever try, right!? :eek:
We wanna know!! :mug:

So, while our Beers are waiting for the hubby's arrival home from work....

After2WeeksBeingBottled.jpg

They are chilled & ready to go!! :D

I will let ya know what a 2 week old beer tastes like when we pop the tops!

PEACE. LOVE. & BEER!

I think it's generally recommended to put them in the refrigerator a couple of days before opening them to let the CO2 be absorbed from the headspace into the beer, so they may not be fully carbonated, and will still taste green, probably, but, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. :drunk: Actually, it's probably a good idea to sample one now so you'll have a basis for comparison to see how it develops as it conditions over the next few weeks.

I think it's generally recommended to put them in the refrigerator a couple of days before opening them to let the CO2 be absorbed from the headspace into the beer, so they may not be fully carbonated, and will still taste green, probably, but, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. :drunk: Actually, it's probably a good idea to sample one now so you'll have a basis for comparison to see how it develops as it conditions over the next few weeks.

Totally agree. Let them chill for at least 48 hours to let the co2 in the headspace dissolve into the beer. And definitely try one (or two), but expect them to be young and not yet in their prime. It's a good learning experience, and you seem to be all about learning by experience, so go for it, just save the bulk of the batch for when it's in it's prime, probably 4-5 weeks from bottling with a beer like that one. :mug:

Latest posts

Back