Newbie: First wine from base not fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCalvs

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm attempting to make a 5-gallon batch of Blueberry wine using Vintner's Harvest Blueberry Fruit Wine Base. I'm certain I've followed the recipe/instructions on the can perfectly (with the exception of adding 2lbs of corn sugar), however, it's been one week since I pitched the yeast and not a bubble from the air lock, nor has my SG changed a bit.

I'm not really sure where to go from here... I've made wine from a kit before and that was a piece of cake. I figured the only difference here is that I'm measuring out the ingredients myself versus having them in pre-measured pouches.

I used EC-1118 yeast and my Specific Gravity is still 1.102. The temperature was 76F when I pitched the yeast.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of picking up another packet of yeast...

Give that a try but make a yeast starter with the new yeast to give it a good head start before pitching it.

Newbie question but... what's a yeast starter? Is it safe to assume it's some sort of water/sugar combo with the yeast, and to let it go a day before adding to the must?

Back