Newbie Fermentation Freakout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1st brew. BB Irish Stout Extract. Brewed Saturday night. Hydrated yeast at 100 deg(as instructed) and pitched while wort was around 90 deg(Underestimated how long it would take to cool should have cooled more in retrospect). about 10 to 12 hours later started slow airlock activity, monday airlock was very active, tuesday slow activity again, wensday nothing. My ferment was 70 deg on sunday then about 64 deg on tues. Hoppy smell sunday from airlock, Very 'sweet' smell today. I guess I am worried if the ferment stalled out or if that is about how much activity I should have seen? Is it to soon to open and take a gravity? My O.G. was 140 but I also took that at 90 deg so I think its probably higher. Newbie Freakin out, patience is a B.:confused:

It's fine. Wait 2 weeks from brew day. Check the gravity. If its in the right range, the krausen has receded and the beer looks relatively clear you should bottle. Next time don't pitch the yeast that warm. Congrats on the first brew I bet you'll love it.

With initial ferment temp being that high,it might've produced some off flavors. But that might be low,concidering the temp went down lower over the next 2 days or so. Def wait till the 2 week mark to take a gravity sample to see how close it is to FG. After FG,give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle it up.

Back