Newbie disaster three packs of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TO_JOE

Reaction score
My first batcxh of cider got off to bad start, it didnt start to ferment as I think I left some of the yeast killer in the carboy, so re pitched following strict directions. Except for the amount of yeast part, I ended up with three lavlin 1118 in a five gallon carboy with 2.5 lbs of sugar. I used hand picked and pressed cider. It sure is fermenting now, bubbles every second, what should I do? leave it, wait,aerate, add food?? I dont want to wast this first batch!

if it was myself personally (im new to the cider front myself) id let it ferment for a week or 2 until the bubbles slow down and the fizz has cleared take a hydrometer reading and taste it.

how long did you wait until you added the repitch of yeast?

Won't hurt anything to add too much yeast. Just leave it alone and let it ferment out.

Won't hurt anything to add too much yeast. Just leave it alone and let it ferment out.

surely would highly recommend a secondary fermentation in this case, as once the sugars are all used the yeast will look for other things to try to eat resulting in weird taste. also what when the yeast dies and starts decomposing

Latest posts

Back