Newb and my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browningjr

Reaction score
Just a quick intro. My name is Mark from york, pa. I have a few concercs about my first brew. Started all with complete all grain. Figured why waste the time and just go with what I would eventually move in to.

So I brewed a pumpkin beer and everything went well. Unfortunately I wasnt able to check the 0G because I had nothing to put my hydrometer in since it didnt come with the tube in the kit. Anyway my worry is this. The first night after I put the yeast in the very next morning it was great and active and the pumpkin residue has sifted to the bottom for the most part and you could see all kinds of activity going on. The next day all the head and activity had come to a major hault. I could still see things moving around but nothing like before. Also my air lock is only bubbling like 2 or 3 times a minute. Now I am only 4 days in to fermentation and its still got a little activity and everything has sifted to the bottom. Is this normal? Did I not get enough air in it and should I maybe shake things or stir things up a little?

Thanks for any assistance. The first picture is after the first night and the other 2 are on the brew day. Forgot to take a picture of now. But basically all the foam at the top is gone and all the setiment is at the bottom with a little bubbles and movement inside. also it is at 66 to 68 degree F

pumpkin.jpg

pumpkin3.jpg

pumpkin2.jpg

What it likely indicates is a low-gravity beer (lower fermentable sugars that the yeast consume quickly). My fermentation cycle often ends within the first 24-36 hours or so for my average gravity beers. It also depends on the temp that you have fermented at (warmer temps tend to ferment more quickly).

LEAVE IT IN THERE for another week or two.. no need to do anything. Buy a hydrometer and make sure you are in the 1.010-1.020 range in a few weeks and you are likely done with this first batch.

If it smells rancid, harsh vinegar etc.. post the issue here -- but otherwise, drink/enjoy and welcome to the hobby!

Your beer is fine. Unfortunately without an OG reading, you have no idea how well you converted the sugars in your mash. I applaud you for making the jump to AG right away, but OG readings really are necessary at that point to optimize your system. Likely why your fermentation was so fast was because you had a lower efficiency (and less sugar). Not to worry, you probably still made excellent beer, just at a lower ABV.

Easy to get a hydrometer test jar for brew #2. Make sure your grain crush is fine enough, and you pay close attention to mash temps. Should work out great, good luck!

Thanks for the info and the reassurance. I wish i wouldve been able to get the 0G but i had nothing to put the hydrometer in. I guess i couldve used a big glass but didnt want to waste so much since i was already down under 4 gallons. Next time I will have the test tube to try it.

As for sweet it was super sweet when I tasted it before putting it in the carboy. I know it has lots of sugar. Im wondering if i had too much pumpkin in it since at the bottom of the carboy there is a good inch and half of pumpkin. Looks just like pumpking pie at the bottom. Would giving it a shake or 2 to get aerate it help or just lave it be

If you are kegging your beer-- you will be fine without hydrometer readings. I have made enough beer now that I feel confident (if) hitting my mash temps that I will have a good conversion-- and if you used a kit are probably fine.

Too sweet will not be an issue for you if you have a bit of patience to really let the beer sit/condition for a month or two in the keg. Sweetness MELLOWS out big time after carbonation and conditioning. Same thing for the pumpkin flavoring.. You may have a very pumpkin taste for the first month and non-existent two months later.

My advice? After you keg- fill your mug each week and see how the flavors mellow out. This will help you 'next-time' you do this recipe- to time for a special party or goal date. I had a summer ale (low IBU and malty) that I made for a work party this spring.. Oops, I did not get it keg'd in time and took it anyway. I flash-carbonated it hoping that it was drinkable.. NOPE! People who drank it claimed it tasted like grape-nut cereal milk...too sweet.

Two months later, it was an award winner.

Thanks for the info and the reassurance. I wish i wouldve been able to get the 0G but i had nothing to put the hydrometer in. I guess i couldve used a big glass but didnt want to waste so much since i was already down under 4 gallons. Next time I will have the test tube to try it.

As for sweet it was super sweet when I tasted it before putting it in the carboy. I know it has lots of sugar. Im wondering if i had too much pumpkin in it since at the bottom of the carboy there is a good inch and half of pumpkin. Looks just like pumpking pie at the bottom. Would giving it a shake or 2 to get aerate it help or just lave it be

Every beer will taste pretty sweet prior to pitching the yeast. Very difficult to tell based on taste. You'll get the hydrometer reading next time.

I'm guessing most of what you are seeing in the bottom of your fermenter is trub (cold break, proteins, grain residue, yeast, etc). It happens in every beer. When you go to rack into a bottling bucket or keg, you will stop the beer transfer when you get near that level. I would NOT shake it up, aerating beer that has fermented is not a good idea as it can oxidize and stale prematurely. Only aerate prior to pitching the yeast.

Back