newb ? about bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhc22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
k so my first batch is conditioning in the bottles. and second batch is in the primary. I tried one of the bottles after about a week just to see how it was and it was pretty decent...defintely drinkable. but everyone says to wait at least 5 to 6 weks before they start to be really good.

anywho...so they have been botled now for about 10 days....you can see a touch of sediment form the yeast eating the priming sugar on the bottom. but on some of the bottles is a faint ring around the neck. nothing crazy just a faint ring kinda like if you leave a soda in a glass for a bit without touching it and the glass has a faint residue on it.

I guess what im asking is (since i can't do much to fix it now) what could be the cause of this....is it infected?....is it just a residue from conditioning in the bottle? etc... and some people say it will go away af you turn the bottles and leave them sit for a few weeks. will aging fix it...am i maybe just paranoid? what about some people that say to bottle condition it in a fridge?
Thanks for your advice in advance guys!
-Cheesehead - Mike

Good question. I'm curious too since I'll be doing my first bottling in a few weeks. My first batch is in primary fermentation right now.

Welcome to the forum.

It could be an infection or some of the trub/hop/yeast residue.

I wouldn't get all excited just yet. Give it another week and place a bottle or two in the fridge overnight. Sample them the following day.

If there are off flavors then it's probably bad.

Get back to us on the flavor part before you do anything you'll regret like pouring them all down the drain.:D

I think i read somewhere, maybe Palmers how-to-brew, that if you prime with DME it can leave a little ring around the neck of the bottle... like a mini krausen ring.

So hopefully its not an infection, let us know!

...and by the way, while everyone here knows that their beers improve with aging, there are few who will actually wait five weeks before they crack one open. This might be an interesting poll subject, but I would bet that the majority will be opening and drinking beer that is two weeks or less in the bottle.

SteveM said:
but I would bet that the majority will be opening and drinking beer that is two weeks or less in the bottle.

Yeah, once its carbed, I usually open some up for, "extensive sampling." Then im usually kicking myself i the ass 5 weeks later when its just about perfect and i've gone through a case of it.

i personally use the 1-2-3 method... 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle..

so far so good!

K ....so i tried another bottle. still tastes ok. its been bottled now for 2 weeks and it definitely has carbanation. it foams real nice when poured. It still tastes a little raw though. Hopefully it will smooth out after a couple/few more weeks. :rockin:

Back