new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cully1892

Reaction score
Hi I am new at the whole cider thing and have some questions.
1. How long do I let the cider sit with yeast
2. Do I have to add anything other yeast to the cider
3. Help I don't want to really waste another 5 gallons of cider LOL

Let the cider come to room temp and put it into your fermenting bucket.
You need to get a hydrometer, take a starting Gravity reading, it should be around 1.050, at this point, I add sugar to raise the SG to 1.070.
I use Nottingham ale yeast, it won't strip away the apple flavor like some wine yeast will.
I add pectic enzyme to the fermenting bucket, I hydrate the yeast and pitch it into the fermenting bucket, I add yeast nutrient such as Fermaid O and put the cover on with an airlock.
The yeast will ferment down to approx. 1.010, this will give you an ABV of approx 7.9% -8%, this is perfect for a cider.
At this point, when it is done fermenting, rack to a carboy, stabilize with meta and put a stopper and airlock on and let it age for a few months, rack off the lees at your own discretion. I let mine clear naturally, if you are in a hurry, you can add a fining agent and filter.
Just a note on adding anything else to cider:
I've made cider a lot stronger and they were so "hot" that it over powered the apple taste, I've also made cider where I've added 3 cinnamon sticks to 5 gallons, and it over powered the apple flavor.
Apple is fairly delicate, in my opinion, less is more.

Back