New Zealand hopped DIPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaguaroMan

Reaction score
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.22 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.091 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 130.1 IBUs
Estimated Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grains
------------
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) 5.7 %
10 lbs Premium Pilsner Malt (1.5 SRM) 56.7 %
3 lbs Red Wheat (3.0 SRM) 17.0 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 5.7 %
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) 5.7 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 5.7 %
10 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) 3.6 %

Hops
------------
2 syringes HopShot [12.17 %] - First Wort Hops 90min Hop 83.5 IBUs (this is just an estimate, BeerSmith isn't set up to estimate HopShot that well yet)
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 10 28.8 IBUs
1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss @ 10 minutes
1.00 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 12 4.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 13 3.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Wakatu [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 14 4.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 7 Days 16 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 7 Days 17 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Wakatu [7.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 7 Days 18 0.0 IBUs

Using White Labs WLP001 yeast, do 1.8L starter with stir plate, pitch at 65F, ferment at 70F for 10 days. Then dry hop in primary for seven days.

My water is fairly hard with the following water profile from my city's water report:
Calcium: 70.00 ppm
Sulfate: 144.00 ppm
Magnesium: 40.00 ppm
Chloride: 200.00 ppm
Sodium: 99.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: Unknown
PH: 8.00

I'll probably add about 7 grams of gypsum, and 1 Campden tablet split between strike and sparge water.

How does this look? Any recommendations or changes anyone would do?

So you're looking for a Double India Pale White? It's going to be cloudy with the torrified wheat, but that is also going to give you a bigger mouthfeel. What is your purpose behind using malted oats? They're not going to give you a noticeable flavor impact with the rye and hops in there, and I don't think that they're going to contribute the kind of smoothness that flaked oats would give you.

I'm not crazy about using hop extract, rather than actual hops, for bittering. I would probably use something like Green Bullet or Sticklebract for bittering, but if you've had success using extract, then by all means go that direction.

For IPAs, I prefer a fruitier yeast, like WLP004 Guinness, WLP041 Pacific, or WLP051 Anchor Liberty. But WLP001 is, as you know, going to give you good results.

You have hard water, but want to add even more minerals to make it harder? I might just stick with what you have.

Post your results.

I love nelson, and would move that up too. The hop shot gives enough ibus to help you out. Looks good from a hops standpoint.

Pacifica and Motueka are currently two of my favorite hops, and seem to have made their way into almost all of my recent brews.

Also, how did you calculate your gypsum addition? It seems like a lot...

So you're looking for a Double India Pale White? It's going to be cloudy with the torrified wheat, but that is also going to give you a bigger mouthfeel. What is your purpose behind using malted oats? They're not going to give you a noticeable flavor impact with the rye and hops in there, and I don't think that they're going to contribute the kind of smoothness that flaked oats would give you.

I'm not crazy about using hop extract, rather than actual hops, for bittering. I would probably use something like Green Bullet or Sticklebract for bittering, but if you've had success using extract, then by all means go that direction.

For IPAs, I prefer a fruitier yeast, like WLP004 Guinness, WLP041 Pacific, or WLP051 Anchor Liberty. But WLP001 is, as you know, going to give you good results.

You have hard water, but want to add even more minerals to make it harder? I might just stick with what you have.

Post your results.

The grain bill is the same as a recipe for Lagunitas Sucks that someone found online and posted. Pretty much a LS with NZ hops.

This will be my first time using hop extract, and using any hop First Wort. I've read that it adds a smoother, more complex bitterness. We'll see how it works! I opened up the package from one of the syringes and it smelled amazing :D

I wanted to add more sulfates to the water to bring out the hops even more, but I may dial that back a bit.

Pacifica and Motueka are currently two of my favorite hops, and seem to have made their way into almost all of my recent brews.

Also, how did you calculate your gypsum addition? It seems like a lot...

Used EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet, adding 4grams gypsum to the strike water and 3.6 g to the sparge water brought the Chlorides/Sulfates ratio to a level that is supposed to enhance bitterness but keep Calcium levels in the acceptable range.

What is your total sulfate level going to be? I would worry less about the ratio than the overall level. You're chloride is really high to start. You could consider picking up a couple gallons of RO water to dilute and then make your additions.

What is your total sulfate level going to be? I would worry less about the ratio than the overall level. You're chloride is really high to start. You could consider picking up a couple gallons of RO water to dilute and then make your additions.

Sulfates would be 262ppm. I'm going by Palmer's recommended range, which everything is well under except for magnesium which is 10ppm over. I'll go ahead and dilute my strike and sparge water by 25% to bring this down too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh that's about right. I figured 7g plus 144ppm would get you more than that.

Back