New Yorkers! Tourist needs subway advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Hey guys. As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm heading to New York later this month with my wife for a quick weekend visit. We've never been there before and have a few activities planned; one of which is visiting the Empire State Building. The problem is we're staying a ways away, up near Times Square. Google maps says there's a subway line that goes right down Broadway that will take us there. The problem is, I have no idea how the subway works in New York. So I was hoping some locals could fill me in on how exactly we can get from Times Square to the Empire State Building and back, via the subway.

Google maps says we take the 'Q' train. What does that mean? How are the subways labeled? Will there be a sign on the front, or over the tracks somehow? Both?

We're supposed to get on at 7th Ave. and W 48th street. How do we find it? Do I just look for some stairs going down below the sidewalk? What does the sign say? "Subway?" "New York Metro?" What's it even called?

How much is the fare? How do we pay it? Do we pay as we're getting on the train, as we're going through the turnstile (are there even turnstiles?), or do we have to buy tickets somewhere in advance? Can we buy tickets at the station? Can we just pay cash? Is there some kind of "day pass" we can buy that will let us just get on any subway we want for the day without having to worry about fares and such?

We only need to take it to the 34 St - Herald Square stop. How many stops is that? How will we know when we're there? Is there some type of announcement that will let us know our stop is coming up?

Sorry, I'd just like to know what to expect when we get there - my fear is ending up somewhere completely wrong and having no idea where we are or how to get back!

Easy walk from TS to the empire state building. But if you want to go to the statue of liberty, wall street, WTC, you'll probably want to use the subway.

You can buy tickets when you enter the subway. Before you go through the turnstile, there'll be a machine on the wall. Use a credit card, put some money on it, go through the turnstile, and retrieve your card. You can put as much money as you want on it, if you want to ride for several days.

If you look out the windows of the train, you'll see the name of each stop. Match that up with your subway map, which shows all the stops, and you'll be golden. You do need to get on the train going in the correct direction, which can be a bit tricky. Trains traffic is just like cars... they drive on the right side of the tracks. So, if you want to get on a northbound train, enter the subway station from the east side of the street. To get on the southbound train, enter from the west street corners. This was my observation of the trains in Manhattan.

Easy walk from TS to the empire state building.

We don't mind walking, we're both in good enough shape for lots of walking - it just looked far on Google maps. Like 16 blocks (49th St. to 33rd St.) - isn't that kind of far? How long would that take to walk?

But if you want to go to the statue of liberty, wall street, WTC, you'll probably want to use the subway.

Good point, although I don't know if we'll be comfortable enough to risk going so far and having to figure out how to transfer between lines or whatever.

You can buy tickets when you enter the subway. Before you go through the turnstile, there'll be a machine on the wall. Use a credit card, put some money on it, go through the turnstile, and retrieve your card. You can put as much money as you want on it, if you want to ride for several days.

Hang on - are you talking about some kind of special transit card? What do you mean "put some money" on my credit card, then retrieve it on the other side of the turnstile. Does the machine keep my credit card while I'm going through the turnstile? Or do I get some kind of transit card and "load it up" from my credit card before I go through the turnstiles? Sorry if I'm being obtuse, I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing when I get there. :)

You will get a card, like a giftcard, you load it at a machine. One card each per person (if you try to use one card for you and your wife you'll feck yourself). Swipe it at each turnstile gate. There will be maps at the station manager office between the turnstiles. And there will be signs galore telling you which train to get on and which road the exit leads to.

Bear in mind that the line name usually refers to the last stop on that line.

Oh man, this thread has my name all over it. First of all, ALL (well... the vast majority of) subway stations are seen from the street by their green globes hanging outside. They all have a sign that says SUBWAY and either "Uptown to (final destination)" or "Downtown and Brooklyn". The Q train, and its partners the N and R are all seen to be in yellow circles. What you want to do is get on the downtown train (for your purposes N, Q, or R are all the same, I'll explain later) and head down two stops to Herald Square.

Inside each and every subway station is at least one Metrocard machine. As a Canadian who might or might not be carrying American dollars on his person, I suggest you use your credit or debit card. This trip will cost you $2.50 per person per ride, so you and your wife will spend $10, plus an additional $1 for a new metrocard (hold on to it, its refillable).

See the following site for more fare information: http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/FaresatAGlance.htm

Unfortunately the daily "Fun Pass" has been discontinued. The typical New Yorker who doesnt commute every day will put $20 on his card, receive a small bonus for paying in bulk, and tuck this into his pants pocket.

You swipe this at the turnstyle, enter, and now you are in the system. Get on the N, R, or Q as I mentioned, go down two stops, and then exit the train. Signs will tell you which way you are going, and generally a destination like the Empire State Building will have signs pointing you in the right direction.

Dont worry too much about getting lost. Ask a New Yorker if you are going the right way. The majority of the time, you will find someone more than happy to help. Also, on the train is a big subway map that is relatively easy to read. Dont worry about reading this, as New Yorkers have to reference it as well from time to time. The only time getting mugged is really an issue is if you look like a total dolt, have money falling out of your pocket, or if you are wearing an I Heart NY! tee or, worse, T-vah frigging sandles. Dont do that. Also, empty train cars are bad. They usually mean a homeless man is on them, and he is smelly. Like... death smelly.

This is a bargain and a half if you are going to, say, Harlem, Queens or Brooklyn. I would personally walk this distance, however, if the weather was nice. Also, a cab split between 2 people for 14 little blocks and 1 big one will likely come out to the same as the train fare. Resist the urge to eat in the Herald Square or Times Square areas, as food and drink here is overpriced and generally just a trap for tourists. If you let me know your favorite cuisine, I am sure I can point you somewhere better. You will find you enjoy your time in New York more and more as the further you get from the tourist areas.

For information on what NOT to do on a subway, please see my helpful guides (read: *****-fits) below:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/wheely-suitcases-strollers-golf-umbrellas-273910/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/public-transportation-full-instructions-how-jackhole-353907/

Let me know if you have any questions and enjoy your time in The Apple (only people from Jersey call it "The Big Apple").

Hey guys. As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm heading to New York later this month with my wife for a quick weekend visit. We've never been there before and have a few activities planned; one of which is visiting the Empire State Building. The problem is we're staying a ways away, up near Times Square. Google maps says there's a subway line that goes right down Broadway that will take us there. The problem is, I have no idea how the subway works in New York. So I was hoping some locals could fill me in on how exactly we can get from Times Square to the Empire State Building and back, via the subway.

Google maps says we take the 'Q' train. What does that mean? How are the subways labeled? Will there be a sign on the front, or over the tracks somehow? Both?

We're supposed to get on at 7th Ave. and W 48th street. How do we find it? Do I just look for some stairs going down below the sidewalk? What does the sign say? "Subway?" "New York Metro?" What's it even called?

How much is the fare? How do we pay it? Do we pay as we're getting on the train, as we're going through the turnstile (are there even turnstiles?), or do we have to buy tickets somewhere in advance? Can we buy tickets at the station? Can we just pay cash? Is there some kind of "day pass" we can buy that will let us just get on any subway we want for the day without having to worry about fares and such?

We only need to take it to the 34 St - Herald Square stop. How many stops is that? How will we know when we're there? Is there some type of announcement that will let us know our stop is coming up?

Sorry, I'd just like to know what to expect when we get there - my fear is ending up somewhere completely wrong and having no idea where we are or how to get back!

My advice as a sometimes-tourist - buy a pass, but you can also get what are basically debit cards. There's vending machines near the turnstiles. You won't have any trouble finding the subway. "Uptown" is a direction that means you're going to higher-numbered streets, "downtown" means lower number streets (like Financial district).

New Yorkers, despite their sorta 'gruff' reputation, I have found to be enormously generous, so you'll have no trouble getting help.

If you've never been to NYC before, some of my main reactions:

1) I used to be entirely sick of hearing NY-this, NY-that, as if its was the center of the universe. Once you're there, however, you quickly discover that it, in fact, IS the center of the universe. Its not a bragging thing, you just get that sensation when you're there that it is a fact, and you finally understand why there's so damn many movies and TV shows based in NY.

2) Everything, especially mid-town where you'll be, is enormously close to everything else. A quick morning walk will take you from Central Park, to Times Square, Radio City, Late Show theater, Rockefeller Center, etc. They're all RIGHT There. Its really cool.

Personally, I hated the Empire State building though. There was a terribly long line, rubber-glove security, and they wouldn't let me bring in my 8 inch gorillapod tripod, and it was an enormous PITA to get it back when we left (had to stand in line AGAIN). When I go again, I'll probably go to the Rockefeller Center or the Chrysler building.

One of the best meals of my life was at La Masseria in Times Square. Great Italian cuisine. PM me for wine recommendations :)

If you're a foodie, don't miss Eataly in the Flatiron district.

The 9-11 memorial is amazing, and quiet in an otherwise noisy city.

If you want to see the statue of liberty, take the Staten Island ferry, I think its free. I went right after Sandy and paid a lot to go on a private boat, and didn't get any closer really than the ferry did (we couldn't land on Ellis Island at the time due to Sandy damage).

Hopstop is much better for transit/walking directions in NYC. It says 17 minutes on the Q (five of that is walking). Or 19 minutes if you walk.

This site
has plenty of information about the 49th Street 7th Avenue stop. It's not 48th. If you do take the train, it's important that you board on the correct side of the street, as you can't transfer from uptown and downtown trains at the stop.
49n8.jpg

49n16.jpg

We've already got reservations at Blue Fin (my wife loves seafood) in the W hotel for one meal, I haven't made reservations anywhere else, but your mention of Eataly reminded me of the "Brewmasters" episode where Sam Calgione met with Mario Batali to develop the beer menu for Birreria - I might have to work that into the plans!

We're only really there for 2.5 days. We fly in Friday night, then Saturday morning we're doing the horse and carriage ride through Central Park, Saturday afternoon we're seeing the Book of Mormon at the Eugene O'Neil theater, then supper is Blue Fin. I also bought tickets for the Observation deck of the Empire State Building (I bought the ones that let us skip the line), but I think we can do that anytime. Maybe Sunday morning? We fly back Sunday night. Not sure how much else we can cram in, but I'm loving the suggestions!

Suggestion: now that you are at Herald Square, before going back to the hotel, get back on the NRQ and go ALL THE WAY DOWN to Canal St. You are now in Chinatown. Your mind will now be blowing. You will find all the stuff to love (great food, amazing culture, lots to see) and all the stuff to hate (congestion, garbage smells, knockoff handbags being sold) about New York. Man oh man, I need to visit Great New York Noodle Town in that area again... its been about a year!

Presuming you are staying in a hotel don't hesitate to ask the hotel staff (concierge, bell hop, etc.) for tips, directions, good restaurants, etc., etc., etc.
My first trip to Manhattan was on business and I didn't know what to do with my spare time. My second trip was with my wife to see a Broadway show and the hotel staff was immensely helpful. Need a cab? They'll get you one in a snap. Want a good restaurant that won't empty your wallet? They'll know where they are! Subway stops? Ditto!
There are some really interesting museums in Manhattan, not least of which is the Met, AKA the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Don't let the name fool you, it is not just artsy artsy stuff there, it is really a cool place.
I know I mentioned cabs already but I would point out that taxis are not that expensive. Depending on where you're going from and to they may be the best bet.
Have fun, I'll echo an earlier comment until you go there it is hard to understand all the hype surrounding it.

Eataly is great. Check out the flatiron bldg right next to it.

Near TS is a great pizza place called John's Pizzeria. Easy to miss. Great beers, great pizza, and the decor will make you think you walked into the wrong pizza place - check out the link. I would eat there every time in the city if I could. http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

I little bit from my NY subway experience...

1) walk. We walked miles everyday. It seems there's something to see on every block and this way you get to take it all in

2) taxis aren't that expensive

3) we only took subways when going a long distance and they can be confusing. We tried to take the subway from port authority to WTC and ended up in Brooklyn. AVOID RUSH HOUR SUBWAYS. I repeat AVOID RUSH HOUR SUBWAYS. if you are unfamiliar with this mass herding you will be freaked the F out. There are interesting characters in the subways too, just ignore them

Enjoy NYC. its a wild place

Take the N train down to Union Square. Walk down to 12th & Broadway and visit The Strand, one of the best bookstores in the world. The staff pride themselves on being a-holes, but don't let that get to you. After that, enjoy a walk around the Village.

Headed to NYC in October. Other than Brooklyn Brewing, where should I go beer related?

Headed to NYC in October. Other than Brooklyn Brewing, where should I go beer related?

Well, having never been there yet (going tomorrow!), but based on my research and some advice in this thread, I'm hoping to have at least one meal at Mario Batali's Birreria NYC rooftop brewery and restaurant, in the Flatiron district. Batali's Italian food with Dogfish Head beers? Yes please!

If you need a quick bite at anytime do yourself a favor and get shake shack...just sayin...

OK, NOW we're back. :)

We had an awesome trip! Thanks so much for all the tips and advice offered in this thread. We did indeed use the subway multiple times (mostly stuck to the R line, it took us north and south to wherever we needed). We had supper at Birreria and it was amazing - fantastic beer selection, great food, and the rooftop patio ambiance was surreal. Also, regarding the Empire State Building. I mentioned in passing that we had bought the "Express" pass that let us skip the lines - best money we ever spent! There were lines several times (checking in, security, elevators up twice, elevators down twice), and we skipped the line every time. It was amazing - all I had to do was wave those Express passes at the staff, and they moved the velvet rope and ushered us straight to the front of the line! Fantastic! We spent roughly 0 minutes waiting in any given line. Unbelievable. Highly recommended.

Also tried some Captain Lawrence IPA, apparently brewed in New York. I'd never heard of it before, but it was pretty decent. Also got some Goose Island IPA, and some Dogfish Head "Punk'in Ale," which my wife liked.

Amazing trip, thanks again for all the recommendations.

Glad you enjoyed NYC. Captain Lawrence is my local brewery. It's about 25 miles north of NYC, but without a car you'd need to go to Grand Central and take Metro North and still need a cab, but could probably get there in about an hour if you timed it right. They have up to 12 of their beers on tap in the tasting room, including one-off beers from their pilot batch system. He's been hosting our monthly homebrew club meetings for years.

Back